Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Charlieson

3212v or 312

Charlieson
I bought a 312 the other day for the rearend. On closer inspection the only real problem I can find with it is the bearings in the steering. I was going to use the vari speed rearend in my 3212v. Now I am in a dilema. Should I keep both and replace the bearings in the 312 and look elsewhere for a rearend for the 3212v. That would make the wife very unhappy. OR should I use the 312 for a parts tractor. Just looking at it I think almost everything on the drivetrain is interchangeable. I like the old 3212 and she has been a very good tractor over the years. If I had a bigger building I'd have about 12 of these tractors and still not have enough space. Any suggestions about this little problem would be great. ddh

Dadsy98
It's a fact, these tough old tractors do break down. You need a back up tractor. That 312 would do nicely. I say bear up against the homefront opinion and fix them both. all the time saying you will sell it at a nice profit when you're done.:) Steve

Charlieson
Good advice, And something that I have been considering. If I can find the bearings for the steering gearbox I think that I will follow it. The next step is to see if I can find a steering gearbox for the 312. I need a tractor for my son. I like the 3212 because it doesnt have any running boards getting in the way of my feet. I heard through the grapevine of a fellow that has an old Montgomery Wards for sale with a tiller attachment and several other good items to go with it. I am going to sniff around that for a little and see if I cant get the tiller. That way I can say I need a tractor for every attachment I have. I think that one of the members has a setup like this. ddh

ReedS
Been trying to use that excuse to buy more tractors but I running out of room!!!!:D I say if you can get away with it run both of them! Just hink there are over a dozen attachments that can be had for these workhorses I'd be happy with 1 tractor for every 2 attachments but I guess I have to settle for the two that run!:):) Best of luck to you.:p

thedaddycat
If I recall correctly, the bearings at the bottom of the steering shaft(opposite end from the steering wheel) on the 2012 were Torrington J-1012s. It took two at something like four bucks each. I'd fix the 312 and keep it while continuing to look for a parts machine to fix the 3212V. I have a 3310V and love it......