Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need Advice Please. Arghghghghghghgh

mongson

:( Hello. As I type this, my Simplicity Regent 14 Gear is sitting in my garage out of commission again. While my wife was mowing(under my supervision of course), I noticed that the area between the rear tires was smoking and when she drove by, it had a funny smell. At any rate, when the smoke got to a point where it was really bad, (one pass since I had noticed the smoke), I put out the red flag and waved her back into the pit. I looked at it and it appeared that the smoke was coming from somewhere in the back end of the tractor. I couldn't quite determine. Luckey enough, my 30 day warranty is up on Friday. Not bad. Since I have had my tractor, it has been out of commission 75% of the time of the warranty. I called the [place where I bought it (Mutton's) and spoke with a salesman who told me that my salesman was busy and would call me back. So I waited All day Saturday for a call, nothing. Here's where the advice part comes in: Should I: A)Tell them that they need to fix the tractor, change all the fluids, filters and parts that they haven't already and then give me a 30 day extension on the warranty so that I can really run it and see what's what? or B)Tell them that I want my money back and go buy something else? I really like the Simplicity machines. They seem to be better than Crapsman. My wife and I were talking about it yesterday and while we were driving around in the country most of the houses that were real country folk had Simplicities in their yards or garages. If anyone has any thoughts about my dilema, let me know. Thanks. [:(]

I will check that. After I flagged her in, I did drive it a little bit to get it into the garage and it did not seem like the brake was on, in that it was still smooth and did not feel "held-back". I also remember engaging the brake when I parked it. Hopefully, it will be as simple as that though.

If you really like the tractor,I would bypass the salesman and have a conversation with the manager,or owner.It seems fair,with the problems you've had,to ask for a warranty extension,and the fluid and filter changes you've mentioned.

is this tractor a gear or hydro if it is hydro the brakes are internal and if so it sounds like they're hanging up this will destroy the tranny sooner or later the pump and motor will burn up

I really don't think that the brake would smoke if it were hanging up. I would be more inclined to believe that a belt is running around the outside of (or up against) a belt guide. Pat

I know on the hydros there is a little inpection window where the disc brake is located.The manual says to spray some lubricant on the pads once a year.I use penatrating oil. I'm not sure if the brake is the same on a gear model.

I have a gear model 94 Lanlord, and if you forget the parking brake is engaged and try to run it it does smoke, but it's such a strong tractor that it will move.

Thanks for the info. Here are some more details. The tractor is a GEAR. Last night, I tested the parking brake theory and it did not move. How could it if the parking brake and the clutch are the same mechanism. Also last night, I ran it and mowed the rest of the lawn and purposely took a long time to get it done. Guess what? No smoke. No smell other than the slight smell of spent fuel and freshly cut grass. Wierd. I still plan on having them pick it up and look at it. At this point, I am just going to ask for a bit of a warranty extension. If they go with the warranty, I will buy the appropriate tune up kit for my model and do it myself. That way I will get a little familiar with the machine and know that it was done and what was done.