Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Self propelled lawn mowers

DaknSak

I am buyin a new Huskey lawn mower. I can't decide on either a front or rear wheel drive system. I am concerned about the traction with the front drive but I like the manuverability. Any help?

Depends on what you want to use it for. For small areas with alot of backing up and turning around, I like the front drive. Just push down on the handle and the drive wheels are off the ground.

Dutch, That's what I meant by manuverability. Do the wheels tend to loose traction with a heavy clipping bag or on steep hills though?

rear wheel drive is the only way to go most front drives have trans problems plus if you want to bag the grass you will lose traction this is my personnal experence

I have found snapper's rear wheel drive to be really good. I used to mow seven small yards weekly in the suburbs with them, but that was before I lived in the country, a rider wouldn't even fit through the gate to my backyard. I'm glad those days are behind me, but I still fix up push mowers to sell. I think rear wheeel drive is for sure your best bet, although I have never seen a huskey push mower. Hope this helps you. -Chris