Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tiller

arjr111

Beautiful day here in NY, tilled my garden with the old B-10, the 23D was plenty strong. But, the lowest speed is just to fast. Anyone slow theirs down with a larger pully. I would like to get mine to creep, don't really need it to go fast, anyhoo. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/P4020005.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/P4020004.jpg[/img] I got the chance to figure out what must have happened to the grill. The tiller was so powerful that it literally grabs the hard earth and pushes the tractor along. It is impossible to stop, if you don't release the lift arm or tiller engage quick enough. Luckily for me there was just a bush in front of me.[:0]B):o)8D

Art, I think there are "low speed" pulley kits for some tractors (can't remember which). You could probably just buy a larger aftermarket pulley with the appropriate belt. Of course, you could always move into the 21st century and get an RBT with a hydro. :D

I think there were both 9" and 10" speed reduction pulleys. I think the 700/725/B-1 vintage used the 10" and the later 9 & 10 HP tractors used a 9"... I just put a 9" one on the 2012 and in low gear it just creeps along... One caution, I don't think it would work too well for mowing. 2nd would be too slow and 3rd would be too fast at full throttle...

Are you lowering the tiller all the way down on the first pass?I had the same problem with my 64 Landord until I found out you put a pin into the lift quadrant hole to prevent the tiller from being to low.Another thing is that I found that if you run your throdle at 1/4 to 1/2 that it will help some. I still think it goes a little to fast.Maybe I need a Hi/Lo unit as well.

On my 101 with the hydraulic lift you need to run it in the float position or off to the races you go. My son still breaks up in tears at family meals retelling the story of dad rocketing across the back yard one time. But then I guess that is that "Memory" thing that we will remember for years. ken

yuuuuuup, lol, hard ground @ full throttle will take you to the races, and rocks make ya jump, lol

I have the slow speed pulley on my wonderboy 700.Ground speed is just right but the tine speed is a little slow. I am planning on putting a smaller pulley on the tiller for a little more tine speed to get a better seed bed.I had the tiller out today.It worked great really did a great job on the strawberrys now it is going to be raspberrys.To bad rest of the week is going to be lousy.Bob

I have a hi-low on my b-12. Low in 1st still seems a little fast for me. I end up clutching alot. The first time I dropped the tiller in the ground I launched across the yard too!! Your a little gunshy after that!

The "pushing" effect of the tiller can be almost eliminated if you hit your ground with a turning plow first. Plus, that gives you another excuse to play with more implements. After all, isnt that what we like to do??? If you dont have a turning plow, make sure you use wheel and front counterweights. That will help a little bit too. If you turn it up first, you can go straight to full depth your first pass through. stinkster

Used a tiller for the first time tonight and I didn't get launched at all. It was on my recently aquired $200 B110. The 36" tiller worked real good in my opinion, just did a few practice runs, what can I say, Its a BEAST!! -Chris

Evening All, I used the tiller on my AC 620 this last week. I was very impressed with how well it works. With the hydrostatic drive you can creep along and give the tines a chance to work. I could feel the tiller trying to push the heavy 620 around, I can only imagine what a tiller would do with a smaller tractor. Later, Chad