Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-12 Hi-Low

jrosenboom

Tilling with the B-12 last night and the **#$ thing won't move when it's in the low range, but works fine in hi. When I put it in low in smokes the belt. Is there somekind of a clutch inside there that may be bad? Anyone ever experience a problem like this? Can I get parts for it? Thanks!! John

John, Can't answer your questions but I thought the Operators and Parts Manual might help if you don't already have it. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_1271_00_AT_S.pdf

Thanks for the link Greg!! Should be helpfull! I imagine one the the gears must be stuck when it goes into low. Gonna have to open it up and see what's going on!

John, Is the round box on the outside of the hi-lo moving all the way over to lock the gear in to the low position? With any luck it may just be stuck.

Before you remove it, make sure the set screw on the collar that holds the pulley on is tight. If the pulley slips out on the shaft, even a little bit, it will "lock" the high/low rather than shifting into low. It will go into high, just fine, because the linkage is pushing the pulley in against the tranny... Use LockTite or some type of thread locker on the set screw. Been there, done that, got that tee shirt... :D

Thanks for all the help!! I'll have to check it out tonight after work. Hopefully Kent & Tom are on to something and I won't have to take it apart!!

Thanks for the pic! Had a chance to look at it last night, after swapping a rearend from a early B10 to a landlord 101, looks like it's going to have to come off. Don't want to disable it yet in the garage with all my other projects so I may have to wait awhile. Thanks! John