Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 917 w bad engine

johnmonkey

I was at a mower repair shop yesterday and low and behold an AC 917 sits there in the yard. I asked the shop foreman who owns the 917 and he said the owner droped it off six months ago and wanted it fixed. The cost was too much so the owner left it sit. He was supposed to pick it up three months ago,but never did. I am going to call the repair place today and see if the owner of the AC 917 will take a $100.00 for it. It looks like the kohler twin engine is in need of repair (the head is off on the right side. My question is, is it worth buying it? Is $100.00 too much (or too little) Is the kohler twin an expensive to work on motor? Thanks for any help you can give. John H PS I am not sure if it has any extra implements but it does have a 42" mower deck on it right now and it looks like it was garage kept. (little or no rust)

I would venture to say that if you can get it for $100 take it & run!! I have a 917 and it's a GREAT tractor!! From what I've seen they run from $1200 to $2500....

Personally, if you're facing significant expenses on repairing the KT17, I'd look at dropping in a new 16HP single or 18HP twin Kohler instead....

Go to Al Edens Repower. The link to his site can be found on Simple Tractors opening page under links button. It will take you to their web page with drop-in kit prices. [url]http://www.repowereng.com/[/url] GregB

I paid $350 for my 917 and thought I got a great deal, it came with a bent up 48" deck and hydraulic lift. The engine was shotxx(, so I got an M18 Kholer from small engine warehouse for something like $1100. straitened the deck up a little and did some other minor repairs.... Turned out to be one of my better buys, it's one heck of a tractor^8D:)

John, I haven't talked to the guy for awhile, but a few months back I was told that he would sell a rebuilt 16Hp Kohler 1 cyl for about $250. If you are interested, I'll see if I can find the guy's address. Drop me an email. Check my profile, my email has changed since Christmas.

The engine may not be that expensive to repair, and if it is a Series II engine, it could be worth the repair.