Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Flooding somethin fierce

I have an Allis 720 and the engine is flooding somethin fierce. Checked air filter and thats O.K. I don't know that much about the carb but could be the float assuming it has one. Any suggestions as to where to start would be appreciated. Dan

Hi Dan! Sounds like you may have a sticking float in your bowl. They will do that from time to time especially over a period of time when contaminates become an issue. Tim has the ultimate answer there and would for sure solve the problem. What I would suggest is to simply remove the bowl (after securing fuel flow to the carb) and clean the bowl, float and it's hinging assembly. Good luck! Randy

Dan, Sounds like you need a carb rebuild. Talk about flooding, my B112 turned into a fuel pump last spring when I started it up. Pumped gas right out the exhaust pipe. I rebuilt the carb and fixed the problem. Tim

Dan, sorry for the delayed response. My computer STB, and I just got around to fixing it. By all means check the carb float level. But... I have 2 Simp 4040's and they had severe flooding within a month of each other. Gas blowing out the carb, the crankcase vent and filling the crankcase with gas. The problem turned out to be the fuel pump diaphragm on both of them. If you have a diaphragm type mechanical fuel pump, and all else fails, rebuild it. Good luck Jack