Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bigcountry

4211 Carb Problems

bigcountry
I just installed a carb kit in my 4211H and it idles fine, but when I raise the throttle the thing goes to sputtering, and running rich, and shuttering. I have tuned, tuned, and tuned some more to no avail. And while I was taking the carb off, the choke linkage came out, and I can't find where the other end hooks up to. This is really beginning to p me off. I went from it losing power before to running like crap now, but idling fine. I need help.

BLT
The link that runs the choke goes into a slot in the throttle bracket on the engine. You have to throttle link and choke link in position before you bolt it to the engine. If you look at the bracket on the engine you can see a horizonal slot. Be sure the throttle cable is in off position so the choke acuating arm is out of the way.

PatRarick
The early 4211's were equipped with points, and the latest had electronic ignition. Points and condenser could be causing the problem you describe. As you increase the engine speed, the spark becomes more and more intermittant. Makes it appear as though the engine is running rich, as a couple of revolutions with no spark is still drawing in fuel, then a couple of revolutions with spark is trying to burn that excess fuel. A weak electronic ignition module on Magnetron models or a weak ignition armature on point type or electronic ignition can produce similar results. Pat

PatRarick
There really is no such thing as the key "getting ready to shear" As long as the key is intact, with no partial shearing, the ignition timing should remain correct as long as the point gap is correct. With the point type ignition, the key was made of a softer material that could just partially shear. A partially sheared key would generally eliminate spark as the flywheel magnet would not pass the armature to coincide with the opening of the points. With Magnetron, spark is generated whenever the flywheel magnet passes the armature. A partially sheared key will not eliminate or weaken the spark. That would slightly change the ignition timing and a dangerous kickback could occur. For this reason, the composition of the flywheel key was changed so that it is "supposed" to shear completely, allowing the flywheel to turn far enough out of time that the generated spark will not cause combustion at a time where the engine could kick back. Pat

bigcountry
I went out there this afternoon and cranked it up, I had to adjust the run screw, and the dern thing ran near-bout perfect. It didn't cough, hack, sputter, or anything. So I drove it up the road and around the block and I'm gaining confidence in it, but I hope that it will continue to run as well as it did today, without any trouble. I'll keep y'all posted as things progress.