Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Flywheel/Gear Problem on Onan CCKA

shoman

Gents, Back when the snow cover here in Michigan was solid I tried to start the Simp 4040 w/starter fluid. Backfired, blew gear ring off the flywheel, and I suspect from subsequent backfiring, did something bad to the timing gears, which as yet I haven't confirmed. Did put the gear back on the flywheel, which seperated again on the next backfire. Anybody had experience with this gear/flywheel issue and how the get 'em to stay together? Additionally, does the timing gear hypothesis sound correct? Thanks, George Holmes

I'm thinking it's s press fit on the fly wheel as they are two dissimilar metals. It would seem you have two choices; Epoxy the ring gear on or another flywheel. On the timing gear, I think it's a pretty 'beefy' gear in there. I've seen the cam gear chewed pretty well from seizing a valve but that was on a 3/4 throttle roll, not from a start. What's it doing to make you think it's the timing gear? Like 'metal' sounds??? JP

I agree with JP. It should be a press fit. Put it back on and make sure it's on strait. Epoxy should work as JP said or better yet, maybe bronze braze in a few spots or silver solder. Make sure you do it in a symetrical pattern, so not to disturb the flywheel balance. Flywheels are difficult to come by and very expensive to buy ($790 new from Cummins).

Thanks...I tried JP Weld on it, but it blew off again after a ten or so starts, damn I'm tired of pulling that engine...on the other hand..I can do it in 15 minutes now; surely theres a better use of my time....George H

as for the timing issue...it was back-firing a lot, sounded like out of time...but when the engine was out I checked everything, and that wasn't the case...ran fine 'til the damned ring gear blew off.....you're right, the engine's very beefy inside...not evidence even of wear...I'm gonna try industrial strength lock-tite next. Worse comes to worst the neighbor will take the flywheel to his shop, fit a shim ring on flywheel w/tighter fit to ring gear... Thanks for all the help... George

On an automotive flywheel and ring gear I have put the flywheel in the freezer and the ring gear in boiling water or heated with a torch then put in place. after the ring gear cools off and the flywheel warms up I then tack welded in three or four spots.