Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fuel Pump on A/C 620 (update)

renxgil

OK JP, Got the fuel pump, installed it and got her running, but I'm having a problem. At a low idle she runs fine, at full speed it will run fine and then start sputuring, clear itself resume running fine, and continue this pattern of peformance. Anyone have a clue as to whats going on? Thanks for your help in advance.......REN

Good! Well sorta, Is the timing dead-on? New (or not too old) points, same w/plugs. Breather's clean & the balls too? Sorry don't remember if these were talked about. Is all the old fuel pump accounted for (seems I do remember something about parts & magnets). JP

Ren, Is it possible you have some water in the gas? I get that once in a while and if I'm on an incline the water rolls down to the intake side of the tank and causes some sputtering.

Ok Guys, Thanks again. Paul, think I'll try some dry gas, and see what the reasults are. JP, how is the timing set on these engines? Thanks again.............RENXGIL

Point gap @ .20 & align timing w/timing light 'dead on' the pto marks. If you don't have the timimg tab or think its's bent, the timing marks are on the flywheel (tough to see) & you usually have to move the flywheel to to check the tab where the pto clutch is (which means if you're doing this, the motor is out....) JP

Could be the carb main jet is set a little too rich or lean. Try seeing if it helps to choke it just a little. If that helps, it is set to lean. If it gets worse, then it is set to rich. It is also possible to have a vacuum leak where it meets at the manifold (use some aviation gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket and it that won't be a problem. Possibly the air filter rubber hose is mounted loose (less noticeable effect but can happen).