Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7016....leak

Dont have the dig cam. so ill try to explain.. the seal on the back side of brake shaft is leaking. How big/bad of a job is it? ever done one? seal still available? its getting worse. thanks for any info. DougM

Better buy another tractor Doug.:D It's real hard but I'll bring it home and see if I can do it.;) Actually, Doug I have faith in you. You can rebuild anything. If I can rebuild this 314 rearend you can do that brake shaft.

Kris, I first noticed it bleeding alittle in the snow this past winter. I see puddles under it now.....it looks like it could be a real fun job....As far as another tractor.....not for a while... Doug

Evidently ive got the only hydro that this has ever happened to... ok, fine, ill post it in the coffee shop and see what happens....but,.....

Doug if your drum is on the RH lower gear case I would think you should be able to get a seal just by taking off the drum and the shaft should be exposed.

Bob, thanks for the reply your a good guy.....its on the other side of the hydro its on the back side of the shaft that turns the brake wheel, the one that stops the tractor. I did do a search on the sight here but found no info. I tryed ever type of search, seal, bad seal, hydro seal, and finally hydro. I also looked under, naked women, fishing, baby seals, seals and crofts, sealings, sealed with a kiss, no returns. oh well.

Doug I went thru the Simlicity repair manual and on the gear case portion of the hydro, it says that after the gear case is put together is when you install the shaft seals. So I would imagine you should be able to get at seal without alot of teardown.

When you put that seal in, make sure that you check the shaft for excessive wear grooves. You may have to install a speedi sleeve. stinkie

Doug, don't give up in frustration. When searching for something, I always seem to find it in the last place I look..........

Kirk, i never give up, i do give in from time to time temporarily. Thanks guys for the help...good advice. ill be sure to look at that shaft end and see whats up. Ill make the trip to the simplicity dealer and get the seal and get going on it. its getting worse all the time now. My daughter said i should put a little funnel with a tube and run it back in to the fill tube:) frugal country kid or what?

Hey Doug, I have figured it out. The only way to replace that seal is to bring it to our shop on the 26 th. LOL PS. Thank You for your comments. You should be able to replace the seal from the outside. Just make sure the groove in the shaft does not line up with the new seal. Take Care Neal