Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16hp ohv pushrod bent

rbdjr

i started my tractor up for the first time this spring & had a backfire in to the carb on every revilotion, pulled the valve cover & found the aluminum push rod bent & dislogged from the rocker? ever see this & why? its a simplicity 16hp-ohv lawn tractor with a 560 inch deck, never had any other problems before this? did not pull the head yet? is it a big job? whats the valve lash adjustment specs & head toqure?

You might want to volunteer some information as to what engine it has and a model number of your tractor. I'm guessing that the ID plate is in the front LH side of frame.

sure here is the info, im new here sorry. simplicity gth engine-16hp, model#303777, type-0411-01, ..code 92012911 50" deck mower#1692042

Hi, We see this 3or 4 times a summer. More on the single cyls. We have put a new push rod in and reset the tappets. Almost without exception within a few days its back with the same problem. Now we just pull the valves out and clean the guide and stem. Typically they have varnish on the stem. Also usually there are some blocked fins on the offending cylinder. This causes the cyl to run hot and cook the oil, mowing at part throttle will do the same thing and will also cause the valve seats to come out. You have to 90% remove the engine to get the head off. It is easier to remove the engine completely and then you can clean the tractor up also. I would replace the lower crank seal for no more than they cost while the engine is out. I'm at the house and can't give you the clearances from memory, but can tell you that it is best to have them on the tight side, rather than the loose side. Also there is a special process to setting them. As I remember you go to TDC on the compression stroke and then turn forward until the piston goes down 1/4 inch. Check this in the Brs shop manual. On the single cyl engine the tappet clearance problem causes the engine not to turn over with the starter. There is a little compression release bump on the cam and if the tappets are loose, the starter does not have enough torque to crank the engine without the compression release. While you have the head off check the surface for flatness with a straight edge. If there is .003" or more clearance under the straight edge, resurface the head before reinstalling or you will have problems with the new gasket blowing. Good luck, and if you have any more questions feel free to yell for more info. My 2 cents worth and its free. Al Eden