Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1966 Tecumseh 12HP engine

gturner

I have an oportunity to buy this engine off of a Sears tractor. Will this engine help me with any of my AC 210s or 212s. I believe the starter gen. is at least the same. gt:)

Sounds like a good motor for an MF12! I don't think much will work on your Allis though. -Chris

I have one off of a Sears. Ignition died, and all of the local shops say they cannot get replacement parts since Tecumseh discontinued making them, and this engine has no points to hookup external coil. It also has a very different mounting scheme than the pattern on your AC machines. Starter/generator is the same and so is voltage regulator. Currently using the Sears voltage regulator on my AC 716H and will put the Starter /Generator from the Sears on my AC 712S when I get the engine rebuilt.

If the engine has a good coil and flywheel magnets a generic electronic ignition module might solve the problem. Just a thought,

Roy, The Tecumseh units are nothing like the B/S units. First of all they sit inside the flywheel and are a nightmare to adjust. Most generic units are made for the B/S type ignitions. I think that if a unit were available that works, the two top shops in this area would know. Both said they can't get the parts, and there is no replacement or retro-fit. Tecumsehs are built as throw aways. They only keep parts on hand for a few years, not 30-40 like B/S and Kohler. Mine will soon be replaced with a Kohler. I like them much better. It is sitting on the chassis now. I just have to fabricate a few pieces to hook it up. Unfortunately the entire clutch mechanism bolted to the engine instead of the frame. Takes a little engineering.

Rod, You might try Tulsa Engine Warehouse. I've gotten parts there for my 16 hp Tecumseh and it's got to be 20 years old. They had the parts on the shelf. Steve

Steve, I gave up on the Tecumseh. I'm replacing it with a Kohler. I have two extras right now. When I checked, before the local house knew they were out of stock and not being sold anymore, I was quoted a price of $70 for the unit. Since I have the extra 12Hp Kohler, I'm not interested in putting that kind of money into the Tecumseh. I never did like Tecumseh engines nearly as well as B/S or Kohler. This ignition problem just gave me more reason to get rid of the problem (Tecumseh) and replace it with one that I could work on. If anyone is interested in this engine, send me an email. I'll let it go cheap. It was running great and used no oil when the ignition died.