Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I couldn't pass it up!

Chris727

You may remember I recently got a B-110 with attachments which brings me up to about 12 tractors, a couple I co-own with my Dad. He told me I have too many. Today I was at the local lawnmower man's house to borrow a trailer and he told me a guy had a 13 horse Simplicity with a cast iron briggs to get rid of, the first thing that came to my mind was a Baron. He gave me the guys phone # and 20 minutes later I was looking at it. The guy wanted $75 and sure enough it was a Baron. The deck looked solid, BGB felt tight, it was a shuttle drive, I've heard they're not the greatest but he said he had liked it. I gave him a $10 down payment to hold it and I'll try to pick it up this weekend. Somethings wrong with the connecting rod, I think the keeper wasn't put on or something like that. Too many tractors in my area! I'll try to post pictures this weekend. Hopelessly addicted!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -Chris

I don't know why there is a stigma attached to the shuttle drive. I have only had mine, an AC712S, since last fall. I used it all winter to push snow and just love it. It is a 79 model and does not look like it ever had a problem with the drive train. I am the second owner and I have talked with the original owner. Dan

Dan, I think the general impression of the shuttle and the variable drive is: 1. They work great for a long time, and offer great alternatives to the more complex and more expensive hydros 2. But, once all the linkages and such are badly worn (either via age/use or mediocre maintenance/servicing), they become very problematic to keep everything adjusted and working properly The standard 3-speeds or the later dual-pulley 6-speed setups seem to hold up much better because they are so much simpler. The earlier high/low setups like I have on my Big Ten are aslo problematic with wear, and parts are NLA... It's not necessarily a weakness that has people "down" on shuttles, it's an issue of wear. Note that all this is just my opinion based on reading the forum -- I've never owned either a shuttle or a later-model 6 speed.

Hey Chris, I to, am guilty of tractor polygamy[:0]. It's just so hard to give yourself to one tractor only:D. I say, as long as there is space to fill in your shop, your not done yet!!

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
I have two that have to sit outside. Does that mean that I'm done collecting? Hope not!
Of course not Rodney!!! I just started renting a shed, a month ago I had 4 tractors, 1 tiller, 3 snowblowers & 4 decks behind my garage under a pretty blue tarp!! Now I have a nice big spot with no grass!B)

I have 20 or more tractors sitting outside.;) I also have two tractors with shuttle drive,Simplicity 7013S Baron,AC 712S,have no problems with the shuttle drive. Karl

John, I was just joking about the sitting outside. Mine have always had to be outside most of the time. Seems like no matter how large your shop is, it is never large enough. With two nearly grown boys still living at home, there are usually so many projects sitting in the shop at any one time, there is no room for tractor storage. Karl, I am also putting together an AC 712S. Had a 3-speed, had a hydro, and wanted to have a shuttle too. I guess now I need to find a hi-low, a variadrive, and a six-speed.

Rodney, I just bought a Allis Chalmers 710 six speed tractor. I got the tractor running and found out the engine burns oil,and 3 gear does not shift in. I also have a variadrive Allis Chalmers B-210. The only one I do not have is the hi-lo.:o) Karl