Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Plow Adjustment

jrosenboom

Have to till a garden for a guy. The garden happens to be a virgin pasture that's never been plowed before and has had horses running around on it for 100 years. Needless to say the tiller would only cut about 3" deep:( So I had to break out the moldboard plow and finally figure out how to set it up. Ended up hanging a tractor weight (from a BIG AC) off the plow to get her into the ground better. Worked pretty slick....I was having problems getting it into the ground before but between the suitcase weight and some adjustment it worked pretty good. Unfortunately I don't have enough traction. I put another weight under the seat of my 917H and that helped. I'm afraid I'm gonna need to break out the checkbook and find some V-tread tires for the old girl! Anyone have any luck with turf tires and plowing? A 300lb buddy of mine was with me, when he jumped on the back of the tractor I was good to go.

There was another post about plowing within the last month. I don't have the time to find it for you but I'm sure if you do a search you will find it! Good luck

John, search the archives for "Sod Buster". I never plowed until 2 years ago. These guys got me on the right track. Basically, you want the plow to be smooth as glass (thanks Kent). Then you want to set one rear wheel on an 8" concrete block and set the plow flat on the ground. When the tractor comes off the block, the plow has the correct angle and it will slice right into the ground. Higher ground speed will through the dirt out of the furrow. I ran out of traction too with turf tires. AGs made a very big difference. You may also want to visit "Walking Tractors" on the main page. Interesting gardening info there.

John, I'm not sure how far back you can search, it may have been in the old club house. But there was a very long and detailed discussion on plow adjustment. Perhaps Kent or Dutch could point you in the right direction. I got my front bar treads from Tucker Tire, as per a recomondation from here, and am very happy with the service, price and quality. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JoeJ/joej_sig2.gif[/img]

Do you guys leave your tread tires on all the time? I imagine it's not advised for mowing, as it would rip up the yard pretty good. On the other hand......If a guy was careful when mowing, and put screw in studs on the bar tread tires you think you could do a little areating while mowing? Just a thought. My yard is leaving much to be desired:(

Why don't you try chains on the tires. My turf tires with chains work very well in the snow and on ice when pushing snow with a 42" blade. Can't hardly stop the tractor when I angle the blade and let her loose. I would assume that the chains would work well on the sod as well. DaveM

John, Many people run ag tires for mowing so they can climb hills without spinning. I leave ags on the Big Ten all the time, while I run turf tires on the HB-210. Ags won't do any damage to your lawn if it's dry, and you're careful not to spin. If you spin an ag, you'll tear out a chunk of sod in a blink of an eye. The most common place that mine tries to spin is when making a very tight 90-degree turn in a corner or something, especially when turning uphill.... I was running really deep lug Chen Shin tires (from Tucker) on the Big Ten, and they'd dig a hole before you could clutch it, and stop it from spinning. But, Tucker is now selling a different style with much closer, smaller lugs, shown below. [img]http://64.49.221.202/pix/jimdalton/570450.jpg[/img] When I got a pair for the 2012/loader a week or so ago, I loaded them and mounted them on the Big Ten and moved the tires from the Big Ten to the 2012. Since I use the Big Ten for lawn work, too, I thought the smaller lugs might be easier on the lawn, and I wanted all the traction I could get for the loader on the other tractor. I tilled the garden with the Big Ten since, and I noticed that it wanted to spin a little easier with these lugs, but I haven't done anything else with it... These 8.50 lugs are $75 a pair, plus $17.50 shipping.

Thanks Kent! I found a guy at work today that pulls Cubs and has some spare ag tires mounted on rims. I believe that Cub rims will bolt right up. Hopefully I'll get some fluid in the tires tonight and go turn some dirt.