Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New member says "Hello"

I would like to take a minute and just say hello to all of you AC/Simplicity experts out there. Additionally, I would like to thank Kent for recruiting me from another website. Kent had replied to a question I posted on a forum much like this one. He offered excellent advise and referred me to simpletractors.com. WOW!! And I thought I knew a little about small engines and tractor maintence. But you guys know it all!!! Let's start with the question I asked previously. I have a '78 7016 Hydrostatic. I have been using it this fall to tote wood in a 300 pd. 4'x8' 1,200 pd. cap. heavy duty trailer loaded to it's gills. Am I exceeding the towing capacity of my 7016? Performance is outstanding. This tractor has no trouble pulling the weight but could I be causing harm to my tranny? Kent replied with excellent answers and said to ask the "real experts" SO what do you guys think? Thanks from your newest member Randy

Hello Randy - great to have you with us! I don't know if there are any published load specs but I don't think you are near endangering your tractor - just keep air in them trailer tires! Any pullers have an idea?

Randy, Welcome to the club. I don't know about your tractor with the hydrostatic transmission but I pulled by 24 ft. pontoon boat around with my Allis Chalmers B-1 (7 1/4 hp & 3 speed trans) for several years without harm. I would guess the boat to be around 2000+ lbs. I can't see how pulling 1500 lbs will hurt your tractor. My 2 cents worth. Roy

Welcome to the Club Randy! You won't meet a better, nor more Knowledgeable bunch of guys anywhere! You have a Great Tractor there, and they ARE Workhorses! I know, I have a 7016, myself, and I love it! Like it was said before, make sure that you keep plenty of air in the tires, and be careful that your tractor has plenty of "Proper Footing"; so that you don't have an unfortuneate accident! Dick

Hi Randy! Welcome1 It's a great bunch around here. Guaranteed more hobby support than you'll get from your wife ;o) I'm not an "expert" Just a novice. But with the dozer blades, plows, and such made for these tractors, that will cause them to work as hard as they have power and traction for, I don't see how pulling a heavy trailer will hurt. Those implements should be tuffer on it when you consider dozing or plowing into a firmly planted rock. I plan on using my little AC for plowing snow, and dragging vehicles and logs.

Hey guys and thanks for the welcome!! Your advise about the towing capacity on my 7016 really made me feel better about my tractor. I have heard alot about the "axle tube" in this discussion (I read all 49 pages before I joined this awesome club) which brings me to my next question. What are the symptoms of a cracked axle tube and should I inspect the tube prior to every use? If it helps, I live down here in the flats of Southeastern Georgia, so the hills and bumpy terrain are not an issue. Now, here is my chance to give back; anyone owning a '78 7016 Hydrostatic Sovereign or a 48" mowing deck or a rear pto driven vacuum collector or an electric lift or the 16hp engine itself(I can specify model # upon request),I have all of those manuals. Need a copy of one, two or all? Just let me know, I would be delited to help. Thanks again and have a great day!! Randy

Hi Randy, and again a big "welcome to our family". I have pulled at least 1500# with my 64 landlord "but" when the steering gets to feeling light or when your hitch starts bending then you will know enough is enough as we don't want any wheelies here now. On the axle tube the only thing that I can suggest is to make sure that the hubs are both adjusted in so there is not any excess side to side play so that your keys stay in their key slots where they belong. So just jack up the rear of your tractor and check for excess side to side play where the axle shaft slides into the axle tube on both sides. Having just broken another axle tube-not on the same tractor- I can honestly say you just don't know when it is going to happen. "But" if and when it breaks you will sure know it without any doubt. Just maybe someone else will add more. Best to you and again "welcome home" >>->happyjack<-<<

Hi Randy, Welcome to our club!The previous posters are quite correct,this is a great bunch of folks! Your hydro trans. is pretty near 'bullet proof'!,the only possible weak link is the rear axle tube especially where it goes through the differential,they do when severly abused tend to crack.Just don't make any sudden jerking moves while towing heavy loads.This ESPECIALLY is true in cold weather as the axle tube is a hardened piece. Hey Dick I STILL havent found any "zero's yet for your machine but I'm a' looking! dlc

I did the same type of 'wheelie' with a shuttle on grass mowing on a slight hill once, and heard that awful SNAPP!I HATE when that happens! And yes it was a good wheelie mine did too!Then she no more a mova! dlc

Hi Randy. I have been hauling wood on a trailer with similar loads for over 20 years with my AC HB212 and have never caused a problem. Yes, I broke one axle tube when my nephew was going from full reverse to full forward (without my knowledge) on blacktop. The tractor does a "nice wheelie" when you do this. Welcome! MS