Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

opinions on the 3416 H?

stumpy

Greetings all, An old friend needs a small tractor for tilling, mowing, etc. and I am trying to bring him into the fold. Managed to convince him that an older well-built machine is the way to go. Another club member in the Pacific NW has a 3416H amongst his untouched projects that he is willing to part with. I'm more familiar with the old "B's" so figured I'd just ask what the pleasure of the group is on this particular machine. Any frequent problems that crop up, major things to consider, or are they generally A-1-A? My compadre isn't much on mechanics so I'll be the one getting things functional. Thanks much for the input,

bob i think a llittle while back Sam / dutch or one of the guys posted a pretty good article on "what to look for in buying/evaluating a machine" I have a 3112h which is not too far from what you are looking at, I would say that the bgb is the "weak link" drive-train wise in these machenes, but also you have a hydro hyd lift (possibly) as well as obviously the engine. I realize that i am just spouting the obvious here, if i ccan find the post i mensioned before i run off to work i will send you the link.

Hi. I have had a 3416H for a few years and seen a few others. Here are some of the problems I have had: 1. Premature Starter-Generator failure. Through the help of the club, I discovered I had multiple problems. First I tightened the belt too tight. When I finally corrected that, I had a bad regulator which caused the SG to generate all the time over-working it. Seems to be fine now. 2. Points frequently needed adjustment and cleaned. Changed to a trigger module. No problems since. 3. The Vickers Hydro leaks at the control or pintle shaft. Have tried various fixes but they just worked temporarily. It still leaks which is common. 4. Overall this has been a fine machine. The first two problems are not limited to just a 3416H, the last problem occurs on almost all tractors with a Vickers hydro. That can be permanently repair if it is bad enough and you want to spend the $. Brent

Bob, The 3400 series was made in the early 70s. It is basically the same Sovereign as the 7000 and 7100 series and those made up to the last ones in 2000. It has running boards and a cone cone. They are great machines. The 3400 series is prone to the same problems as any other machine. As Brent mentioned, the 3400 series was the last to use a Vickers Hydro (after that, Sunstrand Hydros were used). The Vickers seem to be good, but parts may be a little more difficult to find, and some seem to develop shaft leaks.

Thanks fellas, I'd heard about the Vickers leaks before. As long as it doesn't pour out it could be lived with I reckon. I know the motor inside-out so problems there don't phase me....just the rest of the drive train that I'm a bit hesitant with. Heck....maybe I'll get her myself and find my buddy a Bolens or something <G>.

I bought my 3416H last summer. I havent had any problems with it. I ordered a new bushing for the cone clutch last week, and bought a new PTO belt. I pushed snow with it all winter and it was very faithful. Ive been mowing grass for about 3 weeks now and it just keeps on plugging. I probably should adjust the hydraulics lever because it has a little creep in neutral, but nothing major. I used it to disk up the garden a couple of weeks ago and it worked great. I wouldnt trade it for anything. I mowed grass last week that was up to the bottom of the frame and it never bogged down. That 16hp briggs has a lot of torque. The only thing I did after I bought it was clean the carb, put another gascap on it (the original was busted) change the plug and clean the points. I live on the side of a hill and mow about 2.5 acres and I think it uses less gas than my 3212V did. Even my son likes the tractor and he is only 19 mo. old. But he likes the 3212v also. If she doesnt smoke and it moves go for it. ddh ddh

I have a 1973 Simplicity 3416H,rebuilt the engine in 1994 and have no oil leaks in the vickers drive unit.This was my first Simplicity - Allis Chalmers garden tractor.A few times had to clean the points , no major problems with tractor.:D I also push the snow in the winter with this tractor & cut grass. Karl;)

My 3112H has a leaker so to speak, about a half quart of transmission fluid in two years. For that I'm not touching it. Sometimes after mowing it will drip and then again not. I just get a new cookie sheet every year and put it under axle to keep the garage floor dry. Whats funny is that when you use the tractor the dripping ceases and only starts for a bit when you park it overnight.

For a leaky vickers on the front of the pump at the pintle/control shaft a garden hose rubber washer fits snuggly around the pintle shaft and between the pump and the pintle shaft arm and will stop the leak temporarily. It works until the hydro fluid eats the rubber then you have to do it again or live with it. Sometimes it is a pain to get the roll pin out that keeps the control arm on the shaft which makes re-doing this fix no fun. Brent

quote:
Originally posted by Brent_Baumer
For a leaky vickers on the front of the pump at the pintle/control shaft a garden hose rubber washer fits snuggly around the pintle shaft and between the pump and the pintle shaft arm and will stop the leak temporarily. It works until the hydro fluid eats the rubber then you have to do it again or live with it. Sometimes it is a pain to get the roll pin out that keeps the control arm on the shaft which makes re-doing this fix no fun. Brent
I think that is why I have the cookie sheet.:D:D

Stumpy You could always steer your freind to the bolens and buy the simplicity for yourself :) lol