Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lawn Aerators

mowerman1193

Been looking around at them at the stores and they seem to be a little pricey to me for what they are.Seems like it would be fairly easy to make one. Has anyone here ever made their own?Just kinda kicking for some ideas.I have an old lawn roller that I picked up at a sale and never used it.I thought about building it out of that.I prefer to build a core type rather than a spike.I can get the cores for $3ea.I even thought about making up some cores to mount onto my revitalizer,but I think it would spin to fast and work more like a tiller. Seems like I seen something someone made up the clamped around their lawn roller.I did a search and could'nt find it here,might have been on another site. Thanks

I bought one of those aerators & I'd like to take it back. It does make cores, but too few of them to do any good. It also rips the ground rather than making a nice round hole. I'm going to rent a core aerator. 'Ryan' seems to be a good brand. The machine cores the soil with a vertical motion (working off a cammed-plunger-crankshaft kinda' thing), instead of the curving motion the pull-behind models use. Just my two cents. Tacey

Kevin, There is, someplace, on the projects board at hobart welding, a long tread about building these. [url]http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/index.php?s=[/url] You may need to join, free, to post, but are a great bunch and very helpfull. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JoeJ/joej_sig2.gif[/img]

My 2 cents. Adding spikes or core spoons to a drum will work great in a straight line, but won't turn for Poo. The end spikes will drag and tear things up. I use an agrifab tow behind tine aerator that is about 40" wide, the tines are seperate on the shaft and it turns very sharp without tearing things up. I have modified it to tow with a Model V walking tractor and with over 100 lbs on it I have no problems maneuvering. Just have to be carefull backing it up, and yes I wear steel toe boots just in case. Happy tractoring Roger A.

I've owned this aerator for 20 years. [img]/club2/attach/PapaMerkle/A4.jpg [/img] It was purchase from sears. Aerator is 36 inches wide. Cement blocks are solid and were part of an old foundation. Yoeman does a great job pulling aerator.( Little light on the front);) This is the type of imprint aerator leaves on soil.

Ground was damp from a 10 minute rain we had eariler. Grass was sowed a few weeks ago. It's not warm enough to sprout. Aerator works great to break crust in garden.I would spread grass seed on top of ground an run aerator over it. In the fall I would mulch leaves and then run aerator over it. Depending how hard the ground is aerator will leave 1-2 inch hole in ground. After I roll a yard I run aerator over yard to allow water and fertilizer to get to the roots. This is what the teeth look like.

Every spike disc is independent from each other. In a different site I saw pictures of a home made aerator made out of a section from a rotary hoe. It was a single axle with a weight rack on top of it.