Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4040 Flywheel/Ring Gear Seperation Help!

Wendy

Hi, The ring gear in my 4040 seperated from the flywheel during a backfire episode in winter. Pressed back together, came apart again. Pressed together again w/ PJ Weld, which held for about 10 starts, blew apart again. Anybody got a solution? Fit requires C clamps to assemble, pretty tight. New flywheels not available. Is it possible to weld steel/allow? Thanks for the Help, George HOlmes

Is the ring just a typical sweat gear or is there enough room to drill and tap say 4 10-32 flat heat screws into it, similar to some of the older Briggs wheels?

On an automotive flywheel and ring gear I have put the flywheel in the freezer and the ring gear in boiling water or heated with a torch then put in place. after the ring gear cools off and the flywheel warms up I then tack welded in three or four spots.

Oops, submitted too soon....thought I might try drilling and tapping horizontally at the juncture of the steel and alloy. That would brace the connection a couple of ways. Maybe with supper loctite it would hold. Not sure I can drill effectively into one soft and onehard material, but it's worth a try, all else failing. Thanks again, George H