Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brent_Baumer

Landlord 101 Tranny

Brent_Baumer
I fixed what I thought was a broken axel tube on the Landlord I have for sale in the classifieds here. Upon closer inspection and disassembly turns out all the roll pins were broken or missing. Replaced them and the tractor moves. Next problem. In my add I stated the tranny was hard to get into 3rd and Reverse. It is actually 2nd and reverse. It it won't go into either. Thought I got it into 2nd yesterday but won't go now. Had to come in to watch the boys while the wife and daughter are at girl scouts so couldn't check the shift forks but does that seem likely? ie think I can fix it with the bent screwdriver trick or does that only fix when it is locked in gear? thanks, Brent P.S. This machine is still for sale. See pic in classifieds.

BLT
I recall shift pattern on R and 2 a left to right movement or vice versa which means both gears slide on a common shaft. Does that help? Maybe your are not getting enogh movement when you go thru the "H" slot.

KSever
Brent, It could be something like I had with this Landlord. I couldn't get it out of gear, come to find out 1st and 3rd gear had a broken collar which wouldn't let the shift fork move the gear back and forth. You can see what I found below on this gear. The gear next to this is Reverse and 2nd. Kris [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/KSever/firstandthirdwhole.jpg[/img]

Brent_Baumer
Thanks guys. I'll do some more investigation tomorrow after T-ball opening day. If I can't figure it out without splitting the case someone is going to get a good deal on this tractor or it is getting parted out. The guy I bought it from yesterday said "it ran last year but we couldn't get it started one day so we bought that Yardman over there. I suspect it just needs a new battery". I suspect he was mowing along and the thing quit moving so he pushed it into the garage, the battery went dead and a year later he saw my want ad. Most of the roll pins were dust. The only 2 that were left were shear off. No way he drove that into his garage and parked it. Some people! Brent