Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Timing on a Briggs 346431 16hp

Spencyg

I finally reassembled my 16hp briggs single cylinder and put it back in the 7016h. After wiring the whole thing up just like I found it, I checked to see if there was spark and there was. I then checked fuel, and I had that as well. After cranking the engine over it was apparent that there wasn't going to be any starting today. The plug I'm using is the one that was in the tractor when it was burning oil. I cleaned it up and it seems to be sparking just fine. Now the engine just cranks over and over and over without any hint of starting. It is becoming flooded (obviously) from the cranking, so I know I've got fuel. My only thought is that I installed the magneto too retarded on the flywheel. I put it back in the same place it was before (when it was running) so I figured this would be OK. If I have to remove everything again to change that I'll be very unhappy[V]. Could there be another problem? Is there a way to trick the timing with the points? I have set the point gap at exactly 0.020". I am confused people...any easy answers out there?? Thanks Spence

Replace the spark plug. A plug that will fire outside of the cylinder will not nesscersearly fire in the cylinder under compression.

patrician12
Are you getting the right rpm with the plug in.When you take the plug out and spin over the engine it spins 3 times the speed so the magneto definitely makes spark.If the engine is tight and with the plug in no spark.The engine must make a minimum of 350 rpm to get spark.Also,could you have missed with the key way.Spark and fuel but not synchronized no start.Valves too tight?I doubt it.

you don't think it has to do with the position of the magneto at all? The engine is definately spinning fast enough to start, so I will try the plug. Thanks Spence

Spence, You may think this sounds a bit stupid but if the timing is right, befor you try a new plug pour a tea spoon of motor oil in the plug hole and turn it over a few times, this will give you the compression you lost with the new unseated rings. If you try it let me know if it does the trick. Mel_W

There is already oil in the cylinders Mal, and compression definately isn't the problem (starter motor can barely get it turned over!). I'll try that new plug next week. Thanks Spence

Brent_Baumer
Convert it to battery ignition with an automotive or kohler type coil. + to batt. through a switch. - to points and condenser. Set gap at .020. Away you go! Brent