Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CCKA AND CCKB QUESTION

MrBrowner

I AM IN PROCESS OF PUTTING A CCKB INTO A 4040. A FRIEND IS REBUILDING THE CCKB FOR ME, AND I STOPED BUY TO VISIT MY ENGINE, HE'S HAD IT ABOUT FIVE MONTHS. ANYWAY, I NOTICED IT HAS A STEEL FLYWHEEL, AND THE CCKA IS ALUMINUM. AND I DON'T REMEMBER IF IT HAS ANY COOLING FINS (CRS). COULD I GET SOME INPUT ON THIS? ARE ALL CCKB STEEL? OR JUST NEWER ONES? IT HAS TO HAVE FINS, THAT'S HOW IT COOLS ENGINE RIGHT? WHY DID THEY SWITCH TO STEEL? ANY INFO I WOULD APPRECIATE. THANK YOU!

The difference is the charging system. CCKA 15 amp, B 20 Amp. The B is a whole different system. With different Regulator & rectifier. It won't be plug & play. If your old charging system worked, It might be best to stay with it. Just an opinion of course. JP

powermax_paul
The CCKB has a cast iron flywheel with a steel ring gear. The flywheel has a 12 pole magnet ring that is matched up with the 12 pole stator for the 20 amp charging system. For your 4040, you will need to change out your syncro rectifier and your syncro circuit breaker for the higher amp rating. You really should rewire your tractor to duplicate a 4041/9020 harness instead of the 4040 harness.