Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big trouble with my AC710 - HELP!!

jdschool

I just finished cutting and vac-ing the lawn. After the vac cart was empty I put my 710 back in gear (it had been idling) and nothing happened. I'm not very familiar with the workings of the stuff under the seat but have kept the various belts adjusted according to the factory manual. The gear box that the drive shaft from the engine runs into does not seem to be connecting. I tried to engage the side PTO with the result being a light grinding noise. Any advice on this sudden turn of events would be welcome. B)

UH-OH! Its rare, but bevel boxes do go bad. What happens is the bearings fail and the gears grind until they fail. I had one bad bevel box and I replaced it with one from a parts tractor. You have to split the tractor and slide the bevel box in and out, it is what I would call a major job. Hopefully, someone else can give you a cost estimate of what a dealer would charge to repair it. I am sure that Smilin Sam or somebody will have a used bevel box if you want to try to replace it yourself. Condolences and good luck!

It's very easy to determine if the BGB is the problem. Remove the spark plug wire (so it won't start), get underneath, and crank the engine. Is the driveshaft from the engine to the BGB turning? If the input shaft (from the engine) turns, the output shaft (to the PTO and drive belt) should turn. If both shafts and not turning the same amount, start checking the BGB. Is the key holding the engine driveshaft to the BGB flange sheared? If so, the flange will spin, but it won't spin the input shaft. Remove the 6 bolts and remove the BGB inspection cover. Are the gears meshing properly? If so, the output shaft should turn. If it doesn't, there could be a sheared key holding the gears or pulleys. Perform the above tests with the engine NOT running. You could have a minor problem now, but it could become a major problem if the gears strip. Replacing or rebuilding the BGB is a job that can be done by a home handyman. It may be time consuming (4 - 8 hours), but it is not difficult.