Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC716 charging problem

jlasater

I finally figured out why the fellow who sold me my 716 said I should charge the battery once during the summer. Evidently the charging system isn't working at all. How would I go about troubleshooting the system on this tractor? I've worked on truck electrical systems a fair amount, but not on small engines. I do have access to a DVM and other test equipment. When using the electric lift, the ammeter does register about 10A of draw.

I forget what the 716 used (generator or alternator?). If alternator, check AC output, rectifier. If generator, full field to eliminate regulator as the problem. Same procedure as on trucks.

AC716 is a Kohler, and has an alternator. I don't have a diagnostic writeup that I could reference for this setup.

Turns out the inline fuse between the stator and battery was broken in two. Replaced it with a blade-type fuse holder and correct 5A fuse and the battery is charging once again!

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
AC716 is a Kohler, and has an alternator. I don't have a diagnostic writeup that I could reference for this setup.
Rod, this is a 3 amp unregulated charge system with the optional 70 watt AC circuit for the lights.

BLT, My AC716 Had a 15 amp alternator on the Kohler. I'm not familiar with the unit you mentioned.

Rod go thru this post. I was just reading the wiring diagram that UCD put on. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16865

I understand. I just said that the AC716 that I have had a 15 amp alternator with a rectifier-regulator on it. I sold that setup years ago and currently have a B/S on it. I know it was a 15 amp unit. The regulator-rectifier was missing, and I didn't want to pay $120 for a new one, so I used a 25 amp bridge rectifier, and a three pole regulator from a starter generator. It worked fine. This was long before I heard of this site or had any original manuals to look the parts up in.

Rod when you look thru the diagram, a 3 AMP charge circuit with an electric lift looks kind of short in the charge depatment?. Maybe they went to a 15 amp later? I don't know and now I think I understood what you said.

Even with the charging system dead (before I fixed the fuse problem) my 716H would run all summer, couple times a week, using a mower and tiller before I'd have to put a charger on it. The lift pulls some juice, but you're not running it for very long.

BLT, It was several years ago when I had the original engine. I was into pulling then and not into restoring these tractors as work machines. After I thought about it awhile, I remember now that the alternator was fried when I got the AC716H. A friend of mine who had been building Pro Stock pullers gave me the 15 amp unit. I really don't know what came on that 716H tractor, so I was wrong to compare mine with an original. If you didn't understand how I had it wired, I used a bridge rectifier to convert from AC to DC. Two AC inputs, two DC outputs. I then hooked up the two DC wires same as the two wires of a starter-generator to a voltage regulator from a starter-generator. Most people will say don't try this, but it worked great.

Rod I get it now. And your re-wire of the 15AMP, is pretty unique. I had a similar problem with my 80 HP Evinrudes and its rectifier. The boat dealer what amounted to $110. After some looking Radio Shack had the complete fix for roughly $10-.