Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Guest hoosier1

AC912 charging question

Guest hoosier1
Hello, I lurk here ofter but rarely post. I have a question for anyone who may know about an AC912 that I cannot get to take a charge. It's a graet little tractor and runs like a top. I got it from none other than SmilinSam a couple years back and still consider it one of the smartest buys I've ever made. The only problem is I constantly have to recharge the battery. Here's what I've done so far. Yesterday I took in the battery to be tested and it's fine, I bought and intalled a new voltage regulator, and swapped out the generator. (It's a 16hp. briggs with the automotive coil type ignition BTW)I'm not positive I did it right but I attempted to polarize the generator. Heck, I'm not ever positive I've got the regulator hooked up right althought I think I do. I guess what I'm hoping for is if someone could maybe direct me to a web site or something that shows what wires go where on the regulator and maybe suggest my next step. When the battery is charged it will start the tractor a dozen or more times before I have to recharge again so it's doesn't seem to be draining it. The voltmeter on the tractor's dash stays on zero unless I turn on the lights then in shows a disharge. If anyone has any advise please let me know. Thanks, Brian

Dutch
The problem may be that a 912 should have a Kohler engine equipped with an alternator. You are describing a Briggs equipped with a starter/generator. As with any conversion, whatever was changed is unknown. If I had the tractor to work on, I would have to figure out what had been done, and how it is supposed to function

Guest smallengineman
I just got a 912 for nothing because it didn't run and I had to do some work for it too!. I need to know the wiring diagram and how to maintain and check the hydro drive?. Its been setting for about 2 years at least I know of.

Karl_Brandt
Brian, Dutch is right you need to finf out what has been changed and then find a wiring diagram for a tractor with stater generator. I got a AC 912H,has a 12 hp Kohler engine. Karl

BLT
H1 do you have a ID plate on the tractor you have? I can at least get a wiring diagram and then maybe guide you to another that could work? Like Dutch said you have to start somewhere.