Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rings, K301

IronPony

Well I'm ready to get this old Kohler 301 re-ringed. I am going to put new valves etc also in it. What kind of rings are recommended? What I hear about chrome does not sound so good to me. What other kinds of rings are available? Thanks - Dan

Hi Dan, I did my K321 with the after-market rebuild kit from foley-belsaw, it includes the Gasket Set, intake and exhaust valves, piston and rings, and oil seals for $66.95. You need to check the cylinder to see if it is within specs. before you order. Just in case you need to have it bored and then you will need to order oversize. Good luck Art.

I just put rings in a 13 Hp B/S last weekend. I got them from a local small engine shop. He asked chrome or not. I told him "Not". Chrome rings are hard to seat and cause excess wear on the cast iron cylinder. I'd rather replace rings every few years, than to throw away the engine because of cylinder wear.

Most of these engines came with chrome rings It is also a myth that chrome rings wear out engine cyl. Yes they do seat harder. here is an excerpt from an allis B series add ** B-110 Manufacturer's ratings - 10-hp at 3600 rpm; 3-1/16" bore; 3-1/4" stroke; 23.94 cubic inch displacement The engine features a rotating flywheel blower that forces air through the deep cooling fins on the close grained cast iron cylinder head and engine block. The crank shaft is made of heat-treated ductile iron with integral counterweights and camshaft drive gear. Crankshaft rotates on shielded ball bearings. The piston has chrome plated rings. Valves are made of forged austenitic steel, stellite faced, and have positive type rotators.

Maynard, you are correct and I am in agreement about the use of a chrome piston rings. So long as the cooling system is up to snuff and enough good CLEAN oil (and proper viscosity) is used, the chrome rings way out-perform/outlast cast iron rings. Sounds like another one of those old FALSE wives' tales is sticking around. Tom(PK)

Chrome rings will with stand more heat than standard rings. An air cooled engine runs hotter than a water cooled engine