Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Correct paint for B-112 engine restoration

TomF

Hello, everyone! My son is restoring a B-112 engine and wants to make it as original as possible. We are leaning toward a black semi-gloss enamel. Would this be the best choice for original Briggs engine color? We're not completely sure about the gloss level (gloss, semi-, satin, or flat). Also, should we do any special prep of the engine block other than a good scrubbing with soapy water and/or engine degreaser? Thanks for your guidance! Tom Feldpausch Hastings, MI

The engines were gloss black, to the best of my knowledge -- at least my 1989 replacement engine was. But, it was engine paint, so not quite as glossy as normal paint. Mine was still quite shiny on top, until I repainted it yellow for my Big Ten. As far as prep, I just make sure it is degreased well. I also wipe them down with mineral spirits as a final step, to get rid of any remaining degreaser, grease, dust, etc. Seems to do OK, and mineral spirits are a "user-friendly" inexpensive solvent.

Hey Tom, My folks live in Hastings, shop at your family's store and my mom subs at Central. Maybe we can get together next time I'm out for a visit..... When I repainted the engine for my 2012 that I'm restoring I used Wal-Mart's Satin Black (Color Place brand) rust preventive paint, but have not run the engine yet so I don't know how well it'll hold up to the heat.