Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Anyone a Bolens "expert" (sorry)

stumpy

Hello all, I'm sure somebody here must have a bit o' Bolens knowledge. A friend found a G 10 with a shaft drive tiller and deck...he seems pretty interested in it. He thought it had a Tecumseh (looked original, according to him). Wants me to go look, since he is a bit clueless. I really don't want to give it my blessing with limited knowledge (plus it's 125 miles away), so I came here to query the great fountain of garden tractor know-how (didn't have much luck scouring the net and asking the Bolens people). I have heard that Bolens is no longer around, and parts are tough to come by (that true?). Anyway, the guy is asking around $500 for tractor, tiller and extension, and deck. It runs but smokes a bit. What thinks the group? If he buys the Bolens, I can acquire the 3416 I was encouraging him to get without feeling pangs of guilt <G>. Sorry about this foray into non AC/Simp, but desperate times result in desperate measures.... Thanks much

The Bolens brand name is now owned by MTD and they sell a new bolens at Lowes which is really an MTD painted black with a Bolens sticker on the side. I don't know about parts, I know if they are around they are limited but they were very good tractors,a G10 should have an HH100 tecumseh. I personaly wouldn't give $500. There have been many old tube frame bolens, the g10 is a tube frame, on ebay and they haven't been going for much. Since the motor smokes, probably needing an overhaul, I would say its not worth the $500. -Chris

That was a concern...parts and support...plus, I'm not that familiar with 'em. The tractor is dirty but in good shape. The tiller is very solid and looks good....shaft driven with extensions and like-new tines. He hasn't seen the deck yet. Five bills is a lot for something that's not Simplicity <G>, but it's not for me so what the heck. Still, I wanted outside input on the deal. Told my bud that I'd ask around and then maybe give it a look if he wants me to. Sure am spoiled with Simpletractors.com....Can't find near as much from the Bolens folks. Thanks,

I'm not a Bolens expert, but I do own a mid to late 1960's model 1050. I have also tinkered with a few others at the shows our local engine club has. They are well built little tractors , at least the tube frame models like your G10, and have a very loyal following . Parts actually aren't too bad to come by....look on e-bay for example. I guess it all boils down to what you like, but from what you are describing, and from the ones I have seen for sale, $500 seems pretty steep. Dave

I own a 1256, (12HP) very solid tractor. One of my favorites. As Dave states, parts are available on Ebay all the time. I also agree with the other posters assesment, on price. From the condition you describe, the price for that particular tractor, does sound, too high. But, a nice tube frame (complete, without rust, in good mechanical condition) can be worth well over $500. You might tell him that these tractors come up fairly often, and that it would be to his advantage, to either (if he is mechanically inclined) get the price down, or wait for a better one. [url]http://www.geocities.com/arjr111/ArtsTractors.html[/url]

I have five Bolens tube frame tractors, three G14's, a 1050 and a 1054. They are tough tractors to say the least, and the old Tecumseh cast iron engines are one of the best in thier time, very worth re-building. As far as parts are concerned, I have not had a problem finding parts. I like the drive shaft and the shaft driven attachments, built too last! I use the Bolens too save on my Allis Chalmers, the Bolens are like the Eveready Bunny, just keep, going and going. Floyd

Thank you for the input gentlemen. Reckon I'll go down and take a look at it anyway. Supposedly the smoke has been coming out the ol' exhaust at a consistant rate for several years of mowing use, never getting worse. Not a difficult fix regardless. If everything is working properly and the tiller and deck are fully functional and hook-up right I might offer him $350-$400 for the whole shebang (my bud wants to fork over no more than $700 on a machine with tiller and deck). The geared, shaft-driven tiller with extensions looks like a good unit...ought to be worth something anyway. adios

I have a Bolens 1050 with lots of extras. There was a guy in South Carolina that sold lots of new/used parts. PM me and I will try to find his phone number. I bought a manual, carb rebuild kit and some mower deck parts from him and he was very prompt with delivery.The engine in my tractor is a very strong wisconsin. JH