Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Tacey

Pipe Dream

Tacey
My wife has volunteered to cut our lawn.:) She tried my little old Simplicity. She likes the cut, but would rather use a hydro. A cup holder would be nice. Plus something a little speedier. We went to look at the 'box' stores, just to look.[:0] She decided on a nice shiny new green one (name rhymes with 'Gone Beer') at a really big box store with orange-colored signs. The model has a 48 inch cut, hydro, cup holder, and a bagger attachment (my request), 20something horsepower, all for ruffly 3 grand, out the door. I'd like to look for a nice, clean, comparable used SimpletrACtor for the same price. Am I having a pipe dream?:o) I'm running an ad in the classifieds, just to see. Tacey

Dutch
A friend of mine bought a left over Scotts from the same box store. I used it a few days ago. I must admit, for mowing it has my Sovereign beat by a mile. It's much quieter, easier to mount (walk through frame), and the two pedal foot controlled hydro is a dream to use. Press foot to go, take foot off to stop (with no creep). Both hands are free. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't part with my large Simplicitys for anything else. However, I do a lot more than mow with them. But, for just mowing, I think the Scotts is better. If I was looking as you are, I'd check out every brand offered. Is there a big difference anymore? Price and a local dealer (or online source) for parts would be my main concerns. As for the value of a used machine, I think they loose 20%-40% as soon as they're sold and no longer new. Anyway, I wouldn't pay more than $1800-$2400 for anything that I could buy for $3000 new. Even at that, it would have to be no older then a year or two, and in like new condition. Beyond that, there is no factory warranty left, and it will start needing minor repairs and maintenance at least.

Tacey
I've mostly just surfed the 'net. There really doesn't seem to be much difference among items in my price range. I've had good luck with the Honda brand (two cars & a walk behind mower). Sears sells a riding lawn tractor powered by Honda. I'd like to get a new Simplicity, but those cross over 4 grand in a hurry. Maybe if I wait a month or so I can get something on sale. We've only been cutting grass for a few weeks around here. Tacey

stinkie
My opinion: Anything that takes attachments (not just baggers, but plows and stuff) will last about 3 times longer than a plain lawn tractor. I would look for a Sim. garden tractor or a good Gravely rider.