Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

retired

Howdy boys,old cowboy here, sold off most of the spread,looking for a garden tractor to mow about 3 acres,and work some attachments if I need to.Like a plow,tiller etc.Don't know much about it,but I like the look and reputation of the simplicitys.I never buy new,but I need A1 condition and minimum repairs.3-4k,suggestions welcome.Really like this site.cowpuncher

Howdy cowpuncher. Sounds like a really late model Sovereign is right up your alley. A Sovereign will do all that and much more.

I'd recommend buying two or three older ones instead of one newer one. You'll be addicted before you know it. Of course, you could have one newer one and two or three old ones! Good luck with your search.

Cody, Simplicity stuff can be hard to come by in the Pacific NW, though there seems to be quite a bit of it in the Willamette Valley south of Portland. Amazingly enough, there are a few being listed in various papers: ------------ 20 hp Simplicity Sunstar with McLean front mower, $1100 obo Seattle (206) 935-3573 ------------ Simplicity 20 hp; 60: blade, rototiller, three point hitch Idaho (208) 772-4586 ------------ Simplicity 20 hp; tilt trailer, ripper blade, dozer blade, rototiller Idaho (208) 457-1362 $???? ------------ Or, if a smaller, classic machine is more interesting to you: Simplicity 725, nice shape, mower, rototiller $750 obo Camano Island, WA (360) 387-2571, before 8:30 PM ------------- There's also a fella in Burbank, not far from you, who has a lot of junk for parts, etc. Stopped by there the other day and he didn't have anything along the lines of what you want, but that changes from time to time. His number is (509) 545-8804. Good luck,

Thanks for the info fellas.Dutch I seem to remember a soverin that was in the paper not too long ago,the ad was in every week for quite a while and I just wonder why it did not sell.I will have to look for that ad.Stumpy,we had a deere garden tractor/mower for a long time that ran pretty good but was a pain to work on,I also had a dealer that was worthless and expensive.I would rather have a tractor that I can work on and if it is made good I don't need any dealer except for parts which I would ask you guys about.I am ok with a wrench and nobody usually works on my equipment besides me.I have been reading past messages and info on here,and the soverin sounds pretty versatile.I would like to know more about them,and I will look for that ad.thanks again.

Hi again.Maria found that ad and I called.He bought it new in 95.It's a sovereign,(I have been spelling it wrong),with a 48" deck hydro trans.Has a rear lift,around 100 hours.(he says).He had it in the paper for a month for $3650,said he would take no less than 3500.He got a good deal on a Kubota which he uses for most of what he needs done,but likes to get the simplicity out once in a while.He says if he can't get 3500 he will let it sit in the barn.I forgot to ask what he paid new,maybe I will go look at it.Also said it has an 18hp Kohler 2 cylinder engine and an oil filter.Does this sound reasonable? Why didn't it sell,and what should I look for? thanks again.

I went and saw the tractor,it has been kept inside and looks almost new.Deck is in good shape and he let me mow a little with it,does a real nice cut.He said he paid over 6k for it new,and he refuses to take a penny less than $3500.That seems reasonable to me,and I think I will like the machine.Told him I would get back to him by the weekend...need more opinions quick!(BTW-it has an 18hp kohler magnum twin).thanks,Cody

Welcome Cowpuncher! (Somehow, I have an image of Alex Karas in Blazing Saddles. Although, it was a horse!) Anyway, Being a Sovereign owner (3414 then 7016 and now a 99 Sovereign) I have to say it's a workhorse! I mow 2 acres, plow - snowblow my road & drive, pto vac leaves, till and generally have a good time with mine! I also have a Powermax for the 'big stuff' like loader work, moving things (love those hydraulics!). There's a plethora of attachments for the Sovereign & mostly resonable. Parts are readly available as well. Don't know how you could go wrong! JP

Cody, A 1995 Sovereign should have an 18hp Kohler Command OHV V-Twin. It the engine is a Magnum, something is wrong. When new, those Sovereigns retailed for right around $6,000. "Why didn't it sell"? Probably because most people can buy a brand new tractor for less money, and put it on their credit card. Of course those tractors can't do what a Sovereign can do, but most people either don't understand that or don't want to much more than mow grass. I suspect Simplicity stopped making the Sovereign after 40 years because of the reasons I stated, and the Sovereigns have that old looking design. Today, people seem to like tractors with curved plastic, and that "step through" frame. Some of us old folks have a tough time swinging into the saddle, but they can hobble over a low tin frame.

quote:
Originally posted by stumpy
Cody, Simplicity stuff can be hard to come by in the Pacific NW, though there seems to be quite a bit of it in the Willamette Valley south of Portland. Amazingly enough, there are a few being listed in various papers: ------------ 20 hp Simplicity Sunstar with McLean front mower, $1100 obo Seattle (206) 935-3573 ------------ Simplicity 20 hp; 60: blade, rototiller, three point hitch Idaho (208) 772-4586 ------------ Simplicity 20 hp; tilt trailer, ripper blade, dozer blade, rototiller Idaho (208) 457-1362 $???? ------------ Or, if a smaller, classic machine is more interesting to you: Simplicity 725, nice shape, mower, rototiller $750 obo Camano Island, WA (360) 387-2571, before 8:30 PM ------------- There's also a fella in Burbank, not far from you, who has a lot of junk for parts, etc. Stopped by there the other day and he didn't have anything along the lines of what you want, but that changes from time to time. His number is (509) 545-8804. Good luck,
Wow, Stumpy! How did you find all those tractors for sale?:p I've been looking for a 'newer' used tractor with hydro, but ebay & several local papers haven't had much this spring. Tacey

Dutch,you are right.It is a kohler command,18hp OHV.I offered him $3400 over the phone,and he took it.Pick it up tomorrow.I was thinking about it all day after mowing with it,seems very solid,looking forward to getting attachments for it.thanks again for your input,I am sure to have more questions!^Cody

PS Jim; I love blazing saddles,have it on tape!(prefer the funny cowboy movies,and good old Clint Eastwood all the way back to his "Rawhide" days).Not too many real C'boys left anymore-sold most of the spread when I had to hire helicopters to find the strays,kind of took the romance(?)out of it...Cody

I think you did right. I bought a Sunstar this winter only because the price more then right. It has a Command 20 engine in it and has almost 1500 hrs on the hour meter and as far as I can tell, it's never been apart. Being a Briggs person I had my doubt, but after running it around for a while now, I'm pretty impressed. In Simplicity's line up, the Soverign class tractor was one of the few garden tractors, that you can do a bazillon things with, in my opinion. I guess you could say it was their bread and butter line.

Bob,a "bazillion" uses is probably more than I need,but I think it will do what I need done! thanks for the support.Cody;)

Welcome Cody! I have a 1991 17GTH-L which is the Sovereign series with hydraulic lift. I mow over two acres, including 1/4 mile of county road righyt of way with no problem. I also use a 10" breaking plow in the garden and a dozer blade to clear the drive out to the highway. Last fall I moved and leveled 76 tons of fill dirt and 25 tons of crushed limestone for my new shop and the old gal never misses a beat! I think you will be super pleased with your new tractor and will soon be looking for jobs to try it out. Enjoy! Larry

quote:
Originally posted by cowpuncher
Bob,a "bazillion" uses is probably more than I need,but I think it will do what I need done! thanks for the support.Cody;)
The more you hang around here and read the unique things that have been done, you'll be somewhat amazed. That B word was stretching it. But not too much. If the have one of those fancy cameras send some pics.

Cody, for starters, check this link > http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/b_attachments.htm Most all the attachments for the Allis B-series will fit and work with that Sovereign.

Thanks for the link Dutch,and everyone else who posted info.I picked it up,and I am working it.Runs like a charm,and feels really solid.Controls are somewhat stiff,which I take as a good sign.(low hours).He threw in a front blade that I didn't know he had,(said he liked me not trying to jew him down too much),sounds like he got tired of people telling him they could get a new craftsman for less! Just thought I would let you know,I am going back out.Thanks again for the help.Cody

I was just sitting here reading this whole story, and I must say it nearly brought tears to my eyes. A good old cowboy finds a great orange tractor with help from some fantastic friends. I was trying to share this story with my wife and all she can say is, it is just a tractor (they just don't get it). Welcome to orange country Cowboy!

Next thing you know, he'll be looking for one of those nice hydraulic front end loaders for his Sovereign. I know that's what I'm looking to add to my collection. Cowboy, be careful - orange tractors are addicting, and there ain't no cure!

Greg,tell your wife there are lawnmowers,and there are tractors-THIS is a tractor!(save your tears for guys who buy green;)).Dieter,I don't know about a FEL,but those johnny buckets look interesting.Thanks for the welcome Marty,and everybody else that posted,I think I bought a good machine-should outlast me for sure!(can't believe they stopped making the sovereign?).Cody

Welcome to the club Cowboy, Looks like you got quite a good deal on quite a tractor.8DEnjoy^

Hi Mike,I poked around on this red horse all day mowing and one thing or another,and I'm impressed.Can't decide yet if it's a mare or a gelding,(it works like a good grade gelding),but if it's a mare we'll just have to give her a few days off every 21 days,and raise some little tractors!;)Cody

quote:
Originally posted by cowpuncher
Hi Mike,I poked around on this red horse all day mowing and one thing or another,and I'm impressed.Can't decide yet if it's a mare or a gelding,(it works like a good grade gelding),but if it's a mare we'll just have to give her a few days off every 21 days,and raise some little tractors!;)Cody
And when you open this post all you said is that one tractor would do or something like that.:D:D