Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

clutch/brake rod woes

dav

I finally got the drive belt on my Big Ten by disconnecting the rods from the brake band and from the pedal and using, along with a large screwdriver and some colorful language, BRUTE FORCE!. I then reconnected the rod from the pedal. With the belt in the drive position and the pedal in the up or foot off position, the rod is jammed against the...well, I'd call it the firewall for lack of the right nomanclature. There is no way to depress the pedal to 'clutch'. I checked the charts in the club and they indicate the belt is the right one The rod measures 28 1/2 inches long. The tractor came with a 10 inch trannie pulley and a long belt but I am having to replace them with the stock 6 1/2 inch pulley and belt. Can someone in the know or with a Big Ten measure their clutch rod. I am inclined to think that this rod is from a different tractor with a longer wheelbase.

The book says to use Belt# 154273. With the low speed pulley use Belt# 174486. The 10" pulley is the low speed pulley I believe.

I checked my clutch/brake rod and it measures 28 3/4" from center of bend in front to tip of threaded end, as close as I could measure without taking anything apart. It measured 25 7/8" from center of bend in front to center of the rod guide assembly with mine adjusted right. The belt should be easy to replace, if correct size, by removing the belt guard at the BGB pulley and depressing the clutch, it should slip right off.

thanks guys, the belt is right. but if the bend goes up front, the adjuster will have enough room under the seat. duh, it's in backwards i think. tomorrow i'll check it out

dav, Here's how the clutch-brake rod should look. Sorry for the big pic, but you couldn't see it on the smaller view. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/2_into_1/frame_side.jpg[/img]

Is that a hi-lo kit I see? I would die to get my hands on one. Got any extra's laying around, Kent????

Dav, If you want to sell the 10" pulley I'm interested in it for my tilling tractor set-up. Thanks GregB

Yes, that's a picture from when I was putting my Big Ten together. It has Hi-Low, hydraulic lift, and hopefully soon a right lift lever... Sorry, no extras of any of those!:)

I have the shift rod and the piece of metal that goes around the pulley. I'm not sure what they are worth but I would be willing to part with it. It was given to me by a guy with a big ten I looked for other pulleys but I could not locate them. Let me know. JH

Thanks again y'all Backwards was all it was. Now I can maybe wrap this baby up. My goal is to drive it out of the greenhouse this weekend. Kent, that machine looks GREAT! Sorry, Greg. My predecessor, a master of hack, had lost the key on the trannie shaft and replaced it with a sheetmetal screw. It took a torch and a puller and a whole lot of foul language to get it off. It is fubar. I plan to try getting a sheave from Motion Ind., the large, local bearing supplier but haven't gotten to it yet. If I have any luck, I'll let you know. Dav