Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

17 hp Kohler Miss

Kokomo

I purchased a 7117 Simplicity with a 17 hp, series one engine. The engine has enough power to cut 6 in grass with no problem. The problem is that at idle and slightly above the engine has a miss; however, when the Hydro trans is engaged and the tractor driven the miss disappears and the tractor runs fine. I have installed new plugs, points, condenser. I used RV17YC plugs instead of RV15YC plugs and set points at .020. Please can anyone help, this has become a real challenge.

Just off the top of my head (just ran into a similar problem), sounds like a leaking intake manifold or manifold gasket on one cylinder. Pat

The carb on my 716H didn't idle well at all when I first got it. Had a look and the throttle valve shaft and bushing in the carb was totally worn out. Had over 1/8" play in it, and created a huge air leak that adjustments couldn't fix. Bought a new one and it runs like a champ.

Pat, That is valuable information? Do you know if I can replace the gaskets on the intake manifold, where the manifold attaches to the cylinder head, without disassembling anything else? I assume that the theory behind a leak causing the miss when the engine is not under load, is because there is more vacuum when the engine is not under load. Does this sound right? ------------------------------------------------------------------ jlasater, I will look at the shaft on the carb again, but I do not think it lose. I have had this problem on the carb on a 6212, vertical shaft briggs. Thanks for the information. ------------------------------------------------------------------- a7117puller Yes I use, SAE 30, oil. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Thank Again Bob Hollis

Bob, your theory on vacuum is correct. If I remember correctly, you can disconnect the governer, choke linkage, and fuel line, then remove the four bolts (two on each side) holding the manifold to the cylinders, and lift off the manifold. Just clean the areas to remove traces of old gasket and reinstall with new gaskets. Be sure to clean everything with air pressure prior to removing the manifold to be sure that debris will not fall into the cylinder ports. Pat

Pat, I am curious as to where your problem was on your intake manifold? I tried to buy the gaskets yesterday, but had no luck. I will order ones from the local Briggs distributor next week. How important is the Bolt (screw) torque when reinstalling the manifold? Thanks again for the advise. Bob

Bob, the gasket between the number 2 cylinder and the manifold had shrunken up and was leaking. The torque on the manifold bolts should be 145 in. lbs. I'm curious as to why you would be going to a Briggs dealer for your gaskets. Isn't your engine a Kohler? Pat

• 2 weeks later...
Has been a real frustrating week with the 7117. I changed the manifold gaskets and the gasket at the base of the carb. It had some effect on improving the miss. What I maybe hearing know is a rattle in the heat shield at the front of the engine over the muffler; maybe I just want this to be the problem. The shield is rusted with holes in some places and probably should be replaced. I re-torqued the manifold bolts after the tractor had run an hour or so and it had cooled down. They were loose and tightened about 1/4 a turn, is this normal? The biggest difference after changing the gaskets is that the tractor is very hard to start. When I start it after it has cooled down; I have to crank it 3 to 5 times before it will fire. And then I get a lot of white smoke at first. If I use the chokeit does not help at all. If I spray starter fluid in the carb. if fires right away. Once the engine has started it can be restarted on the first cranking. I wonder if I loosened some sludge in the crab. when I was changing the gaskets on the manifold and carb. base. Since it will fire with starter fluid and after the engine has been started the first time, does this indicate, I now have a carb. problem as opposed to an ignition problem? CAN ANYONE HELP? Pat, I meant to say I was going to the Kohler distributor to get the gaskets not the Briggs dealer. I am also working on the governor on an 11hp Briggs.