Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro ???

Bunky

I was looking at a 7016 hydro today.. When the guy started it up the hydro had whine to it ?? Do these Hydro's whine?? I have never had a simplicity Hydro so these are new to me....

Yep. Listen to it from about 100 yards away and it will sound even worse.

yea most hydros wine ya ought to hear a combine with a full tank of grain going up hill in mud

Yeah, my 716H whines, but not awfully so. The real test is to hop on and see how it accelerates going forward. The tranny runs most of it's time in that direction. If it's really sluggish, the tranny might be going soft (i.e. wearing out), but remember that the linkage has a spring in it to keep the acceleration to a reasonable level. You could also unscrew the fill cap on the back of the tranny and stick a screwdriver in it and see what the fluid looks like. Should be reddish, if it's really dark and smells burn, could be a sign of problems.