Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

18 HP vertical shaft question

Brent_Baumer

Hi all. My brother is working on one of the freebie's we picked up a couple weeks ago from the ad. A huskee with a twin 18hp briggs vertical shaft. He says the starter will barely turn it over with both plugs installed, but if he removes one sparkplug it turns over fine. He got it running on one cylinder then replaced the other plug while running and it ran fine. He shut it down re-installed everything that he had to take off to get rid off all the mouse nests etc. Tried to start it again and the same thing. Will barely turn over with both plugs installed. Burned the starter up, smoked and everything. Replaced the starter. Still will only turn over easy with one spark plug removed. Now he can't get it started even on one cylinder. What is goin on here? thanks, Brent

Brent, does that engine have a decompression mechanism? I'm not familiar with that rascal, but if'n it does, I'd bet on that. Rob

I just today had a similar problem with a "crapsman". The motor mounts wern't grounding the engine good enuff(too much grease & gunk?). I ran a ground wire from the body to the block and it started right up. Don't know if this is your problem too but it cant hurt to try. Like the advice...Its free

I had a similar problem with my 16GTH last year. It was getting harder to start so I thought the battery was getting weak. I tried charging the battery but that didn't make a difference. So I started to trace the wiring and found the power lead to the starter was badly corroded. It's covered by a plastic boot so it wasn't easily noticed. I cleaned that up and it started right away. Then later last summer I started to have the same problem again so I checked the power lead and it was fine. Then I noticed that the grounding wire on the engine block was loose so I cleaned and tightened it and I was back in business again.

He cleaned and re-terminated everything and it now starts and runs good. Just has to fix a siezed spindle on the deck and it will be ready to sell. Thanks for the help. Brent