Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

More Vari-speed belt questions

FiremanRon

Greg, Not that this will help but I have a B-212 vari-speed and have the very same problem that you have described.My aunt bought the tractor new as I have just acquired it within the last (4) months. My axle tube is the shiniest part of the tractor. I too have been wondering if this is normal. I hope someone will shed some light on this subject also. Good luck.

Hey guys. I've been holding out on this question for some time, but since the other vari-drive belt questions is fresh in everyone's minds, this is probably a good time. I have never used my B112 with vari-speed (it's been in a perpetual rebuild since I bought it earlier this year, but it's just about done!) I replaced the entire vari-speed assembly with a good used one due to excessive wear (thanks JN), and also got a second used belt with the used vari-speed linkages. The original belt is 0.875 at the widest point, and the newer used belt is 0.930 at the widest point. The problem I seem to have is excessive looseness in the belt, and interference of the belt on the rear axle tube. It looks like the outside surface of the belt will ride against the axle tube, causing friction and wear at that point. The belt rides around the two vari-speed pulleys, over the top of the rear axle tube, under the idler pulley. I thought of orienting the belt under the axle, but the interference worsens. I can't remember exactly, but I think the manuals show the belt riding over the axle tube as I have it now. Since I haven't run it yet, I'm sure the two vari-speed pulleys aren't in the ideal position, relative to each other, so just actually running the engine might help with some of the belt slack, but it seems that even with the belt slack taken up, there will continue to be some interference of the belt with the axle tube. I don't see any evidence of belt wear on the axle tube from any previous use, so I do believe I have some kind of set up problem now. Now, I admit I haven't followed the set up procedure yet, since I never had a running engine, so I couldn't move the vari-speed shifter to change pulley locations. Maybe this will solve the problem. Can any B-series vari-speed owners tell me how the belt fits relative to their axle tubes? Thanks a billion, Greg

I have two different sized belts both with Simplicity numbers on them. One is longer than the other! Was there a difference of length from the bevel box to the transmission on some tractors? The shorter one on my 3314V pulling tractor does NOT rub on the axle tube. MS