Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Refilling hydro on AC716H

jlasater

I am still waiting on the service manual for my 716H, but started to do a hydro fluid change. Draining the tranny and replacing the filter was easy, consequently the NAPA parts store in town said their part# 1068 was the exact replacement filter for the simplicity part# quoted by the local AGCO dealer. My question is, how do I fill and check the level of the fluid? The attached photo shows the short pipe that unscrewed from the filler elbow on the tranny. Do I fill the tranny up to the end of that tube (after I take the cap off and screw it back into the elbow) or do I fill the tranny back up to the elbow itself? Judging by the amount of fluid that came out, I'm guessing fill to the top of the tube (most of the simlicity hydro's in the service section of this website say fill to top of fill tube). Also, does the tranny use gear lube in part of it, or just the Mercron/Dextron hydro fluid for the whole transaxle? [img]http://www.netoubliette.com/ac_hydro.jpg[/img]

Well, after refilling and changing the filter, and giving the engine an oil change, I can't make the engine "ping" or do whatever was causing that sharp metallic sound when the engine gets loaded heavily all of a sudden. At a standstill, with the deck engaged, if I hit the hydro and throttle at the same time, the engine speeds right up, no banging. I did use 30w to refill the engine. Maybe that's all it was. <shrug>