Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

stupid question of the week

JanH

:I OK so this walker starts, runs, we got all excited and went to till with it. It's...well I'll just say not what was expected. It'll tread the surface at high speed (and of course no brakes). trying to "bump" it down little by little it won't stay in neutral and tries to take off. So *still* don't have a garden tilled. :(! Are we doing something wrong or is this "normal"? Then it started trying to die so are back to square one. :-( Delayed posting this cause have been moving.

What kind of walker?? If you can post a pic of it as used, maybe someone can spot your troubles...or missing part...MPH

I know the problem.There is a foot that is suppose to be on the back of the tiller.This acts like a plow for the middle of the tilled area and stops the tiller from taking off on you.If you don't have this foot it will take off like a rabbit.Don't try backing up with it when tiller is running.It will dig well but can catch your feet. That tiller set up correct will do a great job.Any other questions on the tiller you can email me as I have two of those tillers.Bob

OK but are you supposed to drive it in gear or ?? Low gear seems really fast? Is there an adjustment the foot is to be at? (It takes off with or without it...lol but more without!) Is it best to get it started at the right depth...but slowing it down to *till* rather than bearly scratch the surface as it roars across the to-be-garden area.