Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

lawn striping

bubba_t _flubba

Can any one tell me what actually causes the striping on the lawn? I have noticed that simplicity is one of the best if not the best. I have a 7016H and it does do a decent job of it, but I would like it to be even better. would new blades help??8)

The full-width rollers on the back of the deck make the stripes. You can get instructions on how to make patterns from Simplicity's site.

Thanks guys. I think I will pick up a new set of rollers, I already replaced the shaft. One end was broken off when I got the tractor. While changing the shaft I noticed that the hole through the center of the roller was worn a bit over size. Thanks again, Bubba T

When I'm mowing, I think about it this way...the rollers lay the grass down just a little bit. When you look across the grass laying AWAY from you, it looks just a little bit lighter. When you look across the grass laying TOWARD you, it looks a little darker. I always picture like I'm looking into the shadows of the grass laying toward me. Anyway, when you are doing a single stripe pattern (just going back and forth), you should always be running next to a dark stripe. There are a lot of fun things you can do if you have a nice open area. Last year, I was watching the Cleveland Indians play the Kansas City Royals in KC, and I noticed the outfield was mowed in large sweeping curves. The next time I mowed, I tried that on my lawn. I did large random curves, then repeated on my way back. To make the curves thicker, I did three passes each way. Man, when I was done the yard was gorgeous. Just about every time I mow, I try something different. Some Sunday afternoon, I'm going to try one of the patterns from the Simplicity site. Those take a little longer, because you go over parts of your yard twice. Beware, this is addictive and your neighbors WILL think you are strange!

The way in which the light strike the grass causes the stripes. When the grass lies away from you, the sun reflects off of it and causes the "white" stripe. When the grass lies towards you, you see the shadow caused by the sun resulting in the "dark" stripe. Because these decks have the full width rollers, the grass is pressed down more giving a more defined effect. Use a lawn roller in a back and forth pattern once if you want to see major stripes! DaveM