Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Baron stuck in 1st gear

burnerbrown

I found a 7014 Baron in a backyard. The guy said I can have it but its stuck in first gear. Any ideas of what the problem may be and how I can get it into neutral so I can get it into my truck? Hasnt run in 2 yrs, but did so When it was parked. ps. the guy said, if you come back for the tractor may sure you take the snow blade thats by the garage....ok I said, no problem..

Sounds like a good deal. I don't know about the gear problem though. -Chris

it will roll hard but at least it will roll if you consider removing the belts or driveshaft so your only turning the rear end and not the engine

I know that someone had a tranny stuck in gear and I posted some pics of the shifting forks and stuff to show how it was stuck and how to get it out of gear. I'm having trouble posting pics right now, do a search and you might find it.... I went back and found it, easier than I thought it would be. Hope this helps..... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12052&SearchTerms=shifting+fork

thanks daddycat....I'll keep you posted, if its not raining later on I'm gonna go pick up the tractor after work

Here's another link to the same problem I had also with pics from DaddyCat. The picture below is what I found to be the problem. The retainer ring that the shift fork rides in had broken off the 1st and 3rd gear. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11763[/url] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/KSever/firstandthirdwhole.jpg[/img]

You do have to split the rearend to get to these gears. I was not too enthused about working on the transmission since i'd never done this kind of work before. BUT after splitting the rearend I found it really not too complicated in fact it is a really Simple design and easy to work on. Kris

• 1 month later...
Been a while since I asked for assistance. Finally found time to try the bent screwdriver trick. read the dexcriptions, pulled the oil fill off and look inside a while, bent a screwdriver with a 1 inch bend and in about 3 minutes slid the fork over and outa gear. seems to shift fine, Thanks for the help. I woulda passed on the tractor if not for the information I found here.

daddycat, you should be paid for that bent screwdriver trick;) I'm the one you helped with the pictures several months ago. At least this guy got it right on the first try:I Thanks again, daddycat!!!! Dan

I get enough from knowing that there will be more of these great older tractors kept up and running. As you may have seen from my garden posts, I like the older ones and am not afraid of using them a lot harder than most(if not all) of the new "tractors" will ever be used. I talked to a guy tonight that wanted some tilling done, told him to check out this site and see what these babies can do. He was amazed and probably a little bit skeptical when I told him that I'd take my 40+ year old 7 hp tractor up against any new 20 to 25 hp Sears that you could go out and buy today and bury it or drag it all over creation all day long......... BTW, I never use the Putt Putt at anything but about 2/3 throttle. I start her up and once warmed up I move the throttle lever to where it's even with the arrow on the left side of the throttle control. Plowing, tilling, just moving across the yard, that's the only speed I run the engine at.... the only exception is when I run the sickle bar mower, which requires a slower engine speed.