Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Loaded Tires

DieselDon

I have been thinking about buying a pair ot Carlisle Super Lug, 26x12x12 tires for my Legacy. These tires would be mounted with tubes on a standard Legacy rim which I believe is 10.5 inches wide. I am wondering if anyone knows about how much weight gain would result from having them loaded with a brine or water/antifreeze solution.

I personally would recommend either windshield washer antifreeze or marine/RV antifreeze and not the VERY corrosive calcium chloride (brine) though it is heavier. I'd also not recommend the water/antifreeze solution either, since antifreeze is very toxic... No experience with that size wheel, but adding windshield washer antifreeze to 23 X 8.50 X 12s adds not quite 50 lbs per wheel -- and I do it tubeless, so the filled tube doesn't sweat inside the rim, which will often also cause rust bubbles over time....

A tire of that size weighs filled: Water Gal: 8.3 Weight Lbs: 69 with calcium chloride: 31/2 LB. SOLUTION CaCI2: 84 lbs 5 LB. SOLUTION CaCI2: 89 lbs

You can keep the rims from rusting by having them galvanized. You can usually find a galvanizer that will just throw them in with a load and do them at a very low cost. Just paint them afterwards and no one will know. Still use the tube though. Other parts can be done this way also. I have several pieces on my 620 galvanized.

I have had my tires loaded for 30 years with cloride with out tubes with out a problem. Last year One started to leak. Welded the pin hole, installed tubes this time and had them reloaded.