Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spittin and Sputterin

mbrook

I recently purchased a 7013S at a good price. I think I might be finding out why it was so cheap. I have used it twice to mow my lawn, about an acre. The first time I mowed I got about 3/4 way done, and it started to sputter, this quickly got worse to the point of rough running. I was worried it was overheating or something like that. I promptly shut it off, first thing I check was the air cleaner. It was black, both segments. I bought a new filter and cleaned the foam pre-filter. Started the tractor and finished mowing. It seemed to fix the problem. This past Saturday I mowed again. This time I was partially done and stopped to run some errands with the wife. We got back and she wanted to try the new tractor. I showed her how it worked and off she went. I went in with the kids and fixed supper. Just as my wife is finished mowing I could hear it sputtering again. It got to the point that if idled down you could not throttle it back up, it stalled as if being choked. What could be some of the causes for it acting this way? What are some things to check? Thanks for your help in advance

First thing to check is to make sure this is new gas. If it came with fuel in it, you don't know how old the fuel is, drain it. Replace the fuel filter. Check/replace spark plug. Then adjust the carb as in the manual. If that doesn't do it, it may be time for a carb rebuild. Kits are still sold for that engine($30-40?). I have a feeling a rebuild is necessary.

The first thing I always check on an old "new" tractor, is the carb. bowl. 9 times out of 10, it's filthy with crud and sediment. Clean it out and off she purrs.

My 7018 did something similar last winter. I was plowing snow when suddenly it started loosing power. Like yours, it would not idle back up and eventually died as if being choked out. Turns out the valve rocker arm assembly had come loose and thrown one of the valve stems off. Once I put it back in place, tightened it up, and set it to specs, she ran beautifully (and still does). Something you may want to check. Mine has overhead valves and is easy to check. Don't know about yours. DaveM

I would also check on water in the carb fuel bowl. This is a problem that I have had at times. If so, then drain carb and fuel tank, and replace with fresh fuel.

If this does not work, I would replace the points and condenser. It sounds like when your condenser gets warm, it is breaking down. Neal

My problem seems to be getting worse. After my wife finished mowing I just left it into the garage. Last night I planned on changing the battery and adjusting the seat. Prior to pulling out the old battery I tried starting it with cables. (Since I haven't started it since Sat) Now I don't have any spark. I changed the plug, checked and cleaned the points and replaced the battery. Still no spark. So as a prosess of elimination, next I should change the condenser correct? If that doesn't do it do I pull the motor and replace the armetur? Any other suggestions would be appreciated, I just don't want to overlook something obvious.

I'd attack the condenser next. I actually was having a problem similar (but traced to a number of problems instead of just one) and just converted to a 12V coil ignition instead of the stock magneto. I have a feeling that a new condenser will at least put you in the right direction. Spence

You may have a hot wire grounding out. Sometimes you will get one that frays and when it makes contact in just the right way it will sputter and run bad then ground out and shut her down. Once it gets frayed enough that it can make constant contact, you lose spark, and the engine will not start at all. I would check all the hot wires and see if one of them is grounding to the engine or another wire.