Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
jrichason

Operating on hillside (or side hill)

jrichason
Hi, When I was a kid, my dad would never buy a 4 stroke lawn mower because we had a big hill in our yard and he thought that a 4 stroke engine would have oil distribution problems. I bought my house about a year ago and I also bought my 7116 from the previous owner. He had just had a new short block installed in the tractor right before he sold it to me. My back yard has a fairly steep slope and am wondering if it had anything to do with the demise of the old engine. Also, I've noticed that my Yeoman pings a little bit sometimes when driving it down the hill. Are there any old replated problems with operating 4 stroke tractors on a hillside? If this are problems, are there any ways to address them? Thank you, John

iweld
Hey John, I'm sure you will get more informative replies than this, but here's my 2 cents. If the oil is kept to maximum level I can't believe it could be a problem. I suppose on a splash oil system it's concievable to have premature wear, but I mowed 3 acres+ with a Simp 9 horse with many steep hills (sit on the fender hills) for 10 years without a problem. It certainly wouldn't be a problem with a oil pump style engine. (Of which your 16 horse is not)

stinkie
A pressure oiled 4-stroke will last longer than a splash oiled system on a hill. However, a splash oiled engine should last for many years if you keep it full of oil. I'd say the previous owner ran into a problem he couldnt figure out and said........."Ahh The hell with it!" and bought a replacement engine.

BigSix
For what it's worth, I have a season's mowing on our old 2110 in our new yard, which is a "sit on the fender" yard for say 300' x 3 fendersitting passes, per mowing. I keep the level to the max, and so far, so good. If the time spent tipped were much longer, perhaps I'd make a K-turn, to redistribute the oil, then back up and continue the pass? If you're worried, I would mark the level of the oil, level, on the outside of the case, then park the tractor at it's worst tip angle (for your yard), and attempt to visualize how low the oil could possibly be on the low side--I'm betting it's not that low. I wouldn't worry about it until proven wrong--and this is coming from a worrier! :D

BLT
Great sloping is a problem and most tractor operators books (the newer and not so much the older) and engine manuals make a statement to that. The most I have seen is about 30% or 16 degrees, which equates to 30 feet of rise to each 100 travelled.