Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help with starter/generator belt and bracket

BarryC

I have a 1969 Landlord 2210 that my parents got new, when I was just finishing Kindergarten. I've mowed with it most of my life. In the early 90s I changed the engine twice, with the exact replacement. All the numbers matched and everything. (The reason I changed it twice was, the first time, the new engine I put in was defective and went bad right away. But that's another story.) Anyway, with the new engine the starter/generator bracket was extended out all the way. There's no way to tighten the belt if needed. But the belt was pretty tight so I didn't worry too much about it, but now the belt is stretched and needs to be replaced. But I'd like to know what happened with the bracket, when the engine is the exact same model engine. Was there supposed to be some slightly different bracket for use with replacement engines? If I don't find an answer I'll have to get maybe a shorter belt, or have a different bracket fabricated. Just replacing the belt won't fix the problem. It will just make it a little better. It's a weird problem. Has anyone else experience this? Thanks, Barry

Did the new engine come with the bracket or did you transfer the old bracket over to it? Putting on a slightly shorter belt is no more trouble than changing out a belt of the same size, I would think.

I used the original bracket. That would be a Simplicity part. The new engine didn't come with one. To get a smaller belt I, or the parts guy I know (Simplicity dealer), would have to do some guesswork and come up with something that would be the same diameter and so forth. Also, I might wonder if a shorter belt would make the starter/generator turn faster while the engine is running. And I have no idea if that would be good or bad or indifferent. Normally I would get the exact replacement belt. I just can't figure out why things are different when they shouldn't be. And I know I had better do the right thing because changing that belt is a big job. And while I'm at it I'll change the hydraulic pump belt, since both belts are at the back of the engine.
quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
Did the new engine come with the bracket or did you transfer the old bracket over to it? Putting on a slightly shorter belt is no more trouble than changing out a belt of the same size, I would think.

A different length belt will not effect the speed it turns the Starter motor/Generator. This is determined by the size of the driver and driven pulley size. At some point the belt might have been replaced with an aftermarket belt with a length that was close and of a different type. All so if the replacement engine came with the drive pulley it might have been a smaller size. As belts wear they stretch and wear thinner. These are the belts listed in the Simplicity belt & blade book. Your dealer should have this book. Landlord-2210V Generator Belt# 1607323 Length 37.5" Type 3/8 Variable Drive Belt# 154273 Length 42.3" Type HL Units with Low Speed Pulley use Belt#. 174486 Length 48.9" Type HB P.T.O. Belt# 121078 Length 35.1" Type HA Power Lift Belt# 157230 Length 22" Type 3/8

Thanks for the great information. I'll have a talk with my parts guy and bring my manuals and so forth. Thanks, Barry