Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

OFF BRAND QUESTION

JBLACK

I was working on one of my "bargains"today that being the Dayton with the 18hp B&S magnatron? anyway after I sorted the wiring out and put some fuel in the carb it ran for a few seconds and died no fuel in the line .Do the big B&S have a fuel pump? the tank on this is under the seat and the line comes out off the bottom I can`t believe it`s gravity feed with the carb being higher than the tank? Any ideas would be appreciated thanks for the help. JBLACK?

It has a crankcase pressure activated pump, sometimes after they sit a long time the hose will dry rot and leak, to find it look at the carb, it will have two hoses the same size, one is the fuel hose the other is the pump hose. the pump hose is short and goes to the crankcase, hope this helps, Mel

Thanks for the info, I checked the other line to the crankcase and it looks ok . I think I`ll drain the tank and replace the fuel lines and see what happens new filter also. thanx again JB

Also if the engine has been sitting for some time you might have to replace pump diaphram gaskets as they get hard over time and don't funtion.

Is the diaphram located on the carb? Like everything else on this thing preveous owners have removed engines model/serial nos.Only markings on it are the hp/cc magnetron labels.

Fuel pump diaphrams it you found the pump. Also engine model, type and S/N should be stamped in the sheet metal around oil fill.

I put new fuel line on front to back ,new fuel filter poured gas in the carb replaced the air filter and she fired right up !! I did order a rebuild kit for fuel pump just to be on the safe side. thanx for all the help and info now It`s time to work on some "good stuff" Making a Yeoman out of parts from an AC home steader8 JB.