Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

park brake

why can't I get the park brake on my Sovereign,(to hold on a slope while running),to work? It is a little lever that I guess you are supposed to flip-I can't get mine to stay in place-what am I doing wrong? cowpuncher

The lever has a cam that rides up against the front of the fender well & pulls on the band brake. Basically it's an external drum brake. You have to losten the two nuts behind the handle & rotate the bar to take up the slack in the band. It should just barely clear the drum when released. Hope this helps: Gary Hamilton:)

Well,I think I have got it now,but I find it easier to move the speed lever a little if I am only getting off for a second to move sticks and stones etc,and it seems to hold it okay.Do you think that is harmfull to the tractor? thanks for the help CP

I make it a habit of slowing the engine to an idle, seting the brake & shutting of any PTO's. It only takes a second. Once you get in the habit, you don't even think of it. Not worth getting run over or losing a body part!

CP when you put travel lever in the neutral slot is sort of has its own hill hold, so to speak, a trait of hydrostatic systems. My Sunstar is focused around the seat. Sitting you can start the engine in neutral and get off and just the engine will run. If you bump the travel lever, the engine dies. Mowing and traveling, if you lift your hinder of the seat to scratch it, the mower disengages and the engine quits. Mowing forward and going into a quick reverse disengages the mower deck. With the travel lever in neutral and mower engaged, getting off the seat will disengage the mower and kill the engine, I think. I learned all of this before I got my first 300 feet of grass done. My brake linkage is connected to the travel lever and when I step down hard on brake pedal, travel lever heads for neutral. I have drum brakes for both rear wheels and a pedal for each and hardly use them. Stopping your tractor to clear out some trash ahead of you isn't going to hurt the tractor, but you might want to read the manual and adjust the parking brake on yours, it's real easy. P/S: I have an electric mower clutch.

Thanks Bob and Gary,probably is safer-I just spent many years roping 1-2k steers then jumping off the horse to hog tie em',and the horse always(almost)kept working.Hope I am gone before they start making saddles with safety switches!}:)CP

quote:
Originally posted by cowpuncher
.. the horse always(almost)kept working.
The horse knows what you want it to do...... the tractor doesn't.
quote:
Originally posted by cowpuncher
.. Hope I am gone before they start making saddles with safety switches!}:)
Shhhhhhhh........... Don't give "them" any more ideas. Anyway, it's easy to adjust the parking brake. Loosen the lock nut that's behind the flip lever, and turn the entire lever until it applies the brake tight. Then tighten up the lock nut. When adjusted properly, you should have to apply the brake with your foot and then flip the lever.

Dutch,you got that right,I have always been better with animals than machines.After so many years you tend to treat the tractor like a horse,which it is not.(Must come from being just old enough to have plowed with horses before tractors!). Animals are pretty forgiving,most won't hurt you for spite,only when they are afraid.I know this fine tractor can only hurt me by my own ignorance.I will get that brake working right,which I would have neglected without your attention to detail.Good example of what this club is best at:o)

CP Did you get a manual with your tractor? if not let me know i can make a copy for ya. OHH also do you find that yours creeps? mine has since new , and i am just too busy with the wedding stuff to get to it. How has it been working overall for you ? john

John,I have the manual.Mine creeps when put in reverse and back to nutrel.I just put it a little in forward then back to nutral and it stays put.I think I have the brake figured out it's holding okay.I am real happy so far with this machine-it is so obvious well made and heavy duty,not like some big ugly plastic jelly bean made for yuppies and city slickers:DCP

What's all this stop, disengage, shut engine down stuff???? The Putt Putt has one button between battery and starter, single wire ignition switch and a switch for the light. Oh yeah, wires for the regulator, too. That's it, nothing else....... Hit the starter when in gear and the tractor will move, PTO engaged, it'll turn, seat switch??? I don't even have a seat on it!!!! So much for safety devices in 1961.

quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
What's all this stop, disengage, shut engine down stuff???? The Putt Putt has one button between battery and starter, single wire ignition switch and a switch for the light. Oh yeah, wires for the regulator, too. That's it, nothing else....... Hit the starter when in gear and the tractor will move, PTO engaged, it'll turn, seat switch??? I don't even have a seat on it!!!! So much for safety devices in 1961.
I agree 100% on all of the above. When I was young and working on the farm in the summer, my main tractor was a Farmall "M". Standard procedure was, after checking water and oil, "push in clutch, stupid", made sure you were in neutral and then crank away. If you were on a slope, then you better set the brake before all of the above. Today a good 70% of our population don't know where the clutch pedal is located, and if you told them, the next question would be is where is the "Park" indicator on the dash panel. It's funny some lawyer hasn't picked on that and sued GM, Ford or whatever. Today society wants "chusy" things and manufacters obliged. But to keep the legal beagles off their back, they have to install a lot of safeguards. Fifty years ago when a piece of something failed and broke your big toe, you said "oh cripes", splint the toe, get a new part to fix the failure and not call Johnny Cochran.