Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Motorhead challenge!!

Hey guys! Here's one for you motorheads out there! I have a '78 Sovereign 7016 that I received from my grandmothers passing earlier this year. The tractor's home has been in Kingsport, TN for the last 21 years up until now. I recently made the trip up there to pick up this awesome machine from my home in southeastern coastal GA. The difference in altitude is about 900-1,00 feet. When I loaded her up she was running like a champ as always but when I arrived home she was skipping and seemed to choke out when loaded. I troubleshooted and researched and found that altitude, among other things affects engine performance. You lose 3.5% power for every 1,000 feet above sea level. So I adjusted the carb. and got her running smooth again, but I don't know about the governor. If the carb. was "out of whack" would the governor be also? How would I know? I have always heard that playing with the governor was a "sin" so I wanted to ask first. Any takers? Thanks for any info! Randy

You can check the governer with a tach, but it should not change from the altitude, as it is influenced by the rpm of the engine. The three types are: Air vane, where the air flow from the cooling fins on the flywheel blow against a vane that's attatched to the throttle. Mechanical, which is similar to air vane, except it's inside the engine and uses oil flow instead of air. Fly weight, where weights, spinning on the crankshaft, move the throttle. I'm not sure which you have. A good manual should have a procedure to adjust the governer, if necessary.

Randy, As far as I can tell, and the little I know about Carbs, and govenors; you should not have a problem! The govenor is there as a limiter, to keep the engine from over- reving, and to apply extra revs when needed! You're right when you said that messing with the Govenor is a NO-NO! That's an area for a master mechanic! I'm no expert, and I'm more than likely wrong; but I think that you're on the right track! Best way to check is to take the "old Workhorse" out and put her through the paces with a tiller or something! That should tell you! Dick

Ron is right the double spring type governor on those engs. needs NO adj. to compensate for altitude.Follow recommended factory procedures to adj. if needed.And I wouldn't think a mere 1,000' difference in altitude would matter concerning a mixture adj. needed,but what do I know anyway!!:)If it fixed the prob. so be it! dlc