Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

see what you started....

rokon2813

For those of you who like to read short histories of fellow members. Back in January I filed bankruptcy and went from self-employed to un-employed. I decided to sell off a few toys and junk in the interim. E-bay did me well. In the process of selling my pride and joy, A simplicity 3414S, I found this site. In my spare time, which I've had a lot of, I did a lot of reading of your stories here. I ran across a few posts from you guys who put ads in the paper for "junk" and "dead or dying" lawn mowers. I was very intrigued by some of the "treasures" you come up with and the stories of "resurection". I dabbled as a teenager in mower repair and remember enjoying most of it and since I didn't know yet what my new profession would be I thought I might give it a try. So I followed your leads and put an ad in the local paper. With my wife fully behind me. I also thought since I had nothing "to start with" I would take pretty much anything free. To make a long story a little shorter, now 3 1/2 weeks later I have some 45 riders, 40 pushers, 6 rototillers' 4 or 5 snow blowers and somewhere between 50 and 75 engines to play with, although not all of it was free. Some of them are just plain junk, but every piece will supply me with a pulley or a gear or switch, solenoid, guage or some other useful part before they go to the scrap yard. Granted, there are not that many "treasures" but I did get enough "good stuff" to already have 2/3 of my money back in selling parts. 4 of which went to members here so I know they went to good homes where they will be used. All of this, and I still have an A/C and a Simplicity here to play with, for a mere $500 including $60 worth of gas. Plus I have several pushers in the front yard for sale and 6 (so far) riders in the garage that I have put together and driven but still need minor tinkering to sell. My wife is still fully behind me and helped to load and unload most of it. In fact, in the evening when I am tinkering and cussing to get one running, she is often beside me, tinkering and cussing to get a "junker" stripped out. Just wanted you guys to know what you started. Gotta love this site and gotta love my wifey. THANKS A BUNCH GUYS (AND GALS) As long as this site is here, I will be here "cussin and cursin and praisin" everyone who helped get me into this and everyone who helps along the way and everyone I hope to help too.

Dan, It sounds like your starting into somthing that could work out pretty good.8D The best part of it is that you have your Wifes support, IMO that is very important.... Good luck in your new venture.:)^

quote:
My wife is still fully behind me and helped to load and unload most of it. In fact, in the evening when I am tinkering and cussing to get one running, she is often beside me, tinkering and cussing to get a "junker" stripped out.
Good story, Dan! Just don't forget to have fun at it, too!

Sounds like you took the ol' lemon and made some lemonaid! Good deal!!

Dan you do not have a rearend for a LT 10 Ford in that mess do you? Blew one up last year.

If some more of the money shows up for sold parts by next Wednesday as promised I should be $300 up plus having donated $140 total to the club plus have a 42" Simplicity snowthrower as a result of my 2 week ad. This doesn't count all the pushmowers, snappers and huskies my brother and I picked up and he kept. I think he is about $100 up on that stuff with more to sell. Brent

Hi,All for this sounds good.Can anyone tell me a good why to word the ad. So i can try my luck.Thanks Tony

Here's how I worded mine. Wanted, riding mowers, garden tractors, attachments or implements, running or not. Then of course, when you go look at the offering, you pay or not, depending on the value of the item. Some people like to rule out the junkers, but I just take what I want off them, and drop them off at the recyler that will get some of my gas money back.

my ad read this way Wanted: Non-working, junk and un-wanted Simplicity, Allis Chalmers, Wheel Horse , other brands of garden tractors and/or attachments. Any Age, Any Condition. Will pick-up. Pay for some haul others away free. Phone xxx-xxxx

Wrenchbender: I didnt get any fords but if you can find the make and model of the rear end I do have several.

I wish you the best Rokon. I hope it works out for you. Personally, I've found the problem with self employment to be the boss:)

Very true Don. But the boss and I get along fine, he's as lazy as I am.......