Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hard Steering Soveriegn

Les

grandpawrichard
Les, I haven't noticed any hard steering in my old Soveriegn, have you checked to make sure that the tire pressure is correct? Also check to see if all the steering rods, connecters etc. aren't damaged, while your at it spray all friction points with some good oil or silicon . What size tires are you running on the front? Mine are: 16 x 6.50 x 8's. Hope this helps! Dick

Besides the obvious grease zerts, you'll need to get underneath and apply grease to the "Exposed Steering Gear". With no attachments under the tractor get under so you can look up into the center of the frame. Just grab a handful of axle grease and apply it to the entire gear and rake, work the steering back and forth. You'd be surprised what a difference it makes. Keep it lubed at least once or twice a year.

Les, Never had an old one get hard to steer, they more offen get loose in old age. I would check for caked on dirt and oil around the gears and disassemble the whole steering gear and clean and lube it, then reajust it. Tim

Les, while your at it lube all the steering joints, and components, including tie rod etc. You will be surprised at the difference it will make. MS

Les sounds as though everything is cover "but" I have found the steering colum bushings dryout when they have sat outside. You might want to pull the bushings out or spray some lube on them -after doing what Jeff suggested. It sounds simple but they can cause alot of fiction along the steering colum shaft. >>-happyjack<-<<

The steer shaft on these things tend to sieze up from lack of lube/use.Check the bushs. on that! Also worn kingpin bushs. will make it steer hard.BTW Dick, your mowchine is a "NEW" one[lucky,not a lemon like I have!]so you won't have that problem for a LONG time! dlc

Thanks for the advice. This particular tractor sat outside in a field for a long time, it sure needs some grease and I wanted to make sure I didnt miss anything.

You can also disconnect the drag link to determine if the problem is in the column/gear section or the front end. The steering wheel should turn freely as should the tires when moved to their extremes. Any "sicky" spots may need to be worked back and forth untill freed up. Also check for any play between steering wheel and tires - a loose center axle pivot and loose/worn yoke/bushing underneath are often overlooked. As stated previously if everything else is good you can adjust your tire pressure higher. I have seen tires that look OK but only have 2-5 lbs which can make for very stiff steering!

• 6 months later...
Turn the wheels slightly and see if both tires are at the same angle. You could have one wheel running out of line.