Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

RBT – FDT: definition & history

Dutch

RBT = Running Board Tractor (Allis 700 & 900 series & Simplicity counterparts) FDT = Foot Dragger Tractor (Allis B series & Simplicity counterparts) How it started…….. A few years ago, some of us were debating the benefits of different model tractors. Kent is an FDT owner. I am an RBT owner. Kent likes the idea of being able to place his feet on the ground without running boards being in the way. Therefore, the term Foot Dragger Tractor. Don’t take the ongoing FDT vs. RBT debate seriously. It is (or should be viewed as) just harmless, good spirited joking. Both FDTs and RBTs are great tractors. The reason I own RBTs is because my first Simplicity was an RBT. I bought other RBTs because I like my tractors to be similar so I am familiar with the controls, so all my attachments will interchange easily, so I don’t have to stock too many different repair parts, and so I can interchange parts in an emergency.
  • Like 1

Dutch, I agree wholeheartedly. If I had a flat smooth lawn, or used my tractors mostly for mowing, I'd actually prefer the later models with running boards. But, I do things with mine that they weren't intended for in places where I probably shouldn't drive them... I also prefer having similar models so the attachments and many parts will interchange. Plus, I like the "classic looks" of the older tractors. To me, especially with ag tires, they look more like the farm tractors I grew up with.... [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/johnny_box/bucket_down_small.jpg[/img] That's why I stated "to each his own..." I'm also not a true "collector" who restores their tractors to exact original condition. I use the heck out of all my tractors (use them too hard, sometimes) and I'm going for functionality -- that's why I'm not opposed to putting late model Sundstrand tranny and cone-clutch BGBs in an old B-series. Some might call that a "hack job" but like Sam described it, I consider it the "best of both worlds..."

I agree with Kent, especially since I'm an owner of a 2012 that is. I too plan to do more than mow: garden, ditch dig, food plots for Deer and Pheasant, etc. I also like the look of the older models, especially the actual fenders. I must admit though, my next tractor is planned to be a RBT, a 917h or 919h hopefully. MadMike

Well I have 2 RBT's a 3410S and a 710 allis (not running) 3 FDT's B112,2010 and a 101 (not running) they both are good units, I just think it's a Prference thing.. I used to be partial to my B112 , I think becasue it has Hydraukic lift. But after buying the 2010 I'm starting to like this one even more.. Can't wait to get it redone....
  • Like 1

I have one FDT, a B-110, and 2 RBT's, a 3410 and a 7013(not running). The 3410 has a better steering system and many better features, but it just doesn't have the classic looks of the B-110 and I realy like the black and white seats of the B-series. I also like the B-110 because of the chrome and the tiller and blade I've got for it. The 3410 and the 7013 I intend to add rear lift kits and get a dual wheel set up I could put on any of my larger tractors, AC, MF, Deere, Simplicity but that will come later. I'm sure the RBT's will prove just as usefull as the FDT. -Chris

The ole B-1 FDT is just more comfortable than the new RBT Sovereign. Both have their good and bad features but my preferrence is for the B-1.

I have both types. In most cases, I prefer the FDT's. Probably just me, but they just feel sturdier. Pat

They are both great machines. I have one FDT (61 Wards) and am nearly finished putting together my second RBT (AC700s). I think I have a slight preference for the RBTs because of the longer wheelbase, but the old 61 Wards is such a part of the family that It has a very firm place in all of our hearts. It is the pulling and hauling workhorse and getting the sickle bar mower. The ACs will do the mowing with the larger 48 inch decks. Kent, There is no hacking in your machines. Anyone who says that about yours would have to consider my Wards to be a total garbled up mess. Good engineering updates are not "Hack" jobs. That's why I posted the hacking topic a while back, and didn't get a single negative reply about my modifications. Many of us do modifications to update to the newer style parts or improve usage. Most times it is needed if you are using them as work tractors. Keep up the good work.

As far as improving a FDT I plan to put a grease fitting on the B-110's clutch pedal like the RBT's and add possiblly some other upgrades that will prove functional while not altering original appearance. I know what Pat means about the FDT feeling sturdier, I'm going to hate putting the B-110 out of use this fall to put rings in it and maybe do some bgb work. -Chris

Kent, when it come to this, you started, with a collage of parts and made it for your own use. Some yellow paint makes that collage pretty forgiving. My little Broadmoor with a 12 HP engine on it is dogbone ugly with out the full hood on it. But when it is all the same color most people don't notice.

I decided to take on the B-110 restoration project because it actually looks like a tractor. Both Farm & Garden. It has real steel (meaning no cheap tin or plastic) The newer garden tractors, including simplicity have that "yuppie" look to them for some reason. And I don't like that look. (that's my opinion). also I took on this project because if you want a decent, well built, new garden tractor you are going to pay over $3,000 for it. And it still has plastic parts.

Here we go again......... the superior RBTs getting knocked by the FDT crowd. What's this look like....... chopped liver? [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/900_series_images/911H_cvr_small.JPG[/img]

Dutch, I used to own two RBT's (a Sears 10XL and a Bolens 1250) and I am not knocking them. RBT's or FDT's it dosen't matter to me as long as it is well built. When I said I didn't like the new style I meant the way the hood slopes down.

Thanks Dutch for starting this. I see and agree with the advantages to both sides and I too have both.

I got a decent well built "new" garden tractor for $300. It's a (1985 I think) 7114, spring chicken along side the 1961 Putt Putt I got for $100(with a three belt blower).

I like the looks of both type of tractors. I've only used a FDT a little bit and didn't like the feel of it. I kept feeling like my feet were going to slip off (I was blowing snow so it was slippery). If my lawn ever dries out I'm going to mow it with my FDT. Maybe I'll like it better for mowing. Take care, John

There are only two models that I really like. Simplicity and Allis Chalmers. Running boards or not, they are both good machines. So long as they have horizontal shaft engines and a driveshaft going to the BGB. Here we go, I just started another controversy.

I have (or will have soon) one of each. I have a 101 and I am buying a Kubota BX1500 next week. I love my FDT, because it was my grandpa's, but it wont mow everywhere. And it is also hard to stabilize with your feet with a 42" mower underneath. The main reason I am buying the Kubota is that I am killing the 101 by mowing with it every week. In my opinion, the ONLY time that the 101 is underpowered is when it comes to mowing with a 42" deck. I simply dont want to wear it out and I want a back up for when I have to "tinker" with my old favorite and faithful.

• 3 weeks later...
My .02 worth is that the FDTs do not fit me well. I do like the looks but they are just to small... When ever I sat on my B10 it felt like I was on a kid's tricycle.. I am in the process of adding a lift kit to the pan on my 7116h and a full sized van seat to allow me more room and a more comfortable ride. My wife says I am nuts and it is going to be ugly, I don't care as long as it is functional.. :D Guess I need to go to the next size up... ;) Rob

My eyes are pealed for orange and yellow when I drive, but all i see is red and silver and green. I have 4 rbts. 2 will run but neither will mow yet. As i see the engineering updates (hacks). The manufacturer would just give it a different model number. Thanks for the post Dutch.