Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Blade Choices

Mankman

Went to pickup some new belts yesterday and figured to get a spare set of blades as well only to find I had 3 choices..... #1 was standard, #2 was a "mulching" blade. I have a 50", too big for a mulching kit, but was wondering if the mulching blade would be of any use as the grass is growing like weeds!... #3 is an "evacuation" blade. No idea what this is ? and my Simplicity dealer is as stumped as I was/am... Any suggetions guys??? Thanks, Tom

Welcome to the club Tom ! I guess this makes three of us. I haven't a clue as to what an "evacuation blade is. If we get one more member in here I'll get out the euchre deck :) Steve

I'm up for euchre...an evacuation blade has a little more lift than standard and throws the grass a little better thus "evacuates" the grass from the deck better.they used to call em high lift blades. Usually used with a bagger that does not have seperate vacuum but they do spread clippings a little further.

Tom, Deal the cards.:) I have a 96 Landlord with a 50 inch deck. Get the mulching attachment for your Landlord, you won't reget it. Mulching attachment works great in the fall on leaves.:) I have 7 Maple trees that are 30 to 40 feet tall. I haven't used my bagger system on leaves since I installed mulching kit. When mowing grass you must keep blades sharp and mow grass every 3 to 4 days. The first 4 to 6 mowings I remove the cover that goes over the discharge area. I have used mine for the last 5 years. Simplicity has good instructions that come with the mulching kit. The mulching blade has twice the cutting edge than a regular replacement blade does. The evacuation blade looks like a spin off the Gator Mulcher mower blade (www.gatorblade.com). I don't have any personal experience with gator or evacuation blade. I need new blades for my Broadmorr and planning on trying a set of evacuation blades. My Broadmorr has a mulching attachment on it. My Son and I mow 8 yards with Landlord and Broadmorr.

Sheesh! I've got a red hand and Papamerkle named it clubs! Anyway, it sounds like the evacuation or high lift blades would be the choice. Why even sell the "standard" or low lift variety? Steve

I got the ace, king, ten of clubs, left bar, and queen of spades.^;):) I should get my point. Hopefuly my partner has the right.;) Has anyone tried new blades?

^I put gator blades on my 42" deck this year and I like them. Without the mulching kit they don't seam to chop the grass up any more than the original blades did but they do throw the clippings further.

quote:
Originally posted by Dadsy98
sheephead? new to me. details?
Go here and tells you all about it. http://www.sheepshead.org/

• 2 weeks later...
The blade you are refering to is called Eliminator Blades not "evacuation blade". Check out this site(www.simplicitymfg.com/pa_blades.html). My Son and I tried a set on my Broadmoor today. They work great.:) We could mow faster and motor wasn't working as hard. Here is a picture of Eliminator Blade: [img]/club2/attach/PapaMerkle/B1.jpg[/img] Eliminator Blade (bottom) Mulching Blade (top) [img]/club2/attach/PapaMerkle/B2.jpg[/img] My Son mowing grass (cutting 3-4 inches 3-4mph) [img]/club2/attach/PapaMerkle/B5.jpg[/img] Mower is 44 inches wide without mulching kit on. We only mowed 1 yard with Eliminator Blade-Looks like it will be my replacement blade.:);)

John, Look close at web site in my post. Eliminator Blade will replace standard blade. Blades for my Broadmoor (44 inch deck) cost $60.

I'd like to get any suggestions for mulching blade changes on a 1967 - Simplicity 3012 with the 48" deck. It cuts pretty good, but I get a lot of grass clippings. If I can't fix this with blades, you can bet I'll be searching for a vacuum attachment! Thanks for any suggestions.

Try a set of Gator blades for it. I've heard good things about them, and the next set I buy will be Gators...

The eliminator blade is the way to go.They are made out very hard steel,much harder than normal blades.I sold quite a few sets already and you won't need to sharpen near as often.I'm on my 3rd year on my 38" and only sharpened them the first time this week.

• 3 weeks later...
Are the Eliminator blades available to replace the old style two-bolt blades on 42" and 48" left discharge decks?